Friday, May 13, 2011

Race Report: Tri Girl Super Sprint

Sorry this took so long to get up, my laptop is on the fritz so I don't have my usual blog writing program. But here it is nonetheless!

Pre-Race:
So the day before the race, JC and I drove down to Houston to grab our packets...and a bike, you know, no big deal. I had never been to a triathlon specific store before, so it was cool to check out TRI on the Run. We grabbed lunch while were in the city, came back home and messed with the bike for the rest of the day. We went for an evening ride to make sure everything was in order.

Race morning, we woke up freakin' early and drove the hour and a half to the race site. JC got to experience her first transition set up and set hers up like we had practiced. After getting body marked (JC got a crack out of the little smile faces the body markers put in her '0') and getting transition set up, we did a lot of people watching, which was fun since this was a huge 'first timers' event. We opted out of getting in the water to warm up since we were the last wave to go we would have frozen waiting for our turn.

Swim:
We swam in the 'first timers' wave, which in the end was a mistake on our part. The last wave to go, it ended up being filled with people who don't know how to swim well, which in hindsight, makes sense. So it made for an interesting swim since both JC and I know how to swim. We ended up breast stroking it the entire way since we couldn't find open water to get into a rhythm. Needless to say, the swim took us much longer to complete than we figured, but we both made it alive.

T1:
Since I was racing with JC, I decided to race baggy, so I threw on a t-shirt to finish the race with. JC on the other hand, new to the sport, threw on a shirt and shorts (she didn't feel like racing in her swimsuit, can't blame her!). We unhooked our bikes and rode out!

Bike:
The bike was only 8 miles so it went fast. JC and I switched who was in front, and I made sure we kept the standard USAT legal distance between us, although I never saw a marshall on the course (give it was only 8 miles and a huge first timer race it wasn't surprising). The course was a flat, mostly shaded course that was a really nice ride around the park we were in. The bike seemed to be JC's favorite part of the race, especially with her new bike! Before it began, it was over and we were back into T2.

T2:
This was easy, racked the bikes and took off!

Run:
The 2 mile was fairly painless considering we both hate running. We did a lot of walking, we didn't get a brick workout before the race so the first half mile was difficult for JC. We ran much more after her legs loosened up. A short while later, we were finishing up the run and going over the finishing line and we were done!

Post Race:
JC was pretty pumped after the race, she had a great time and I did as well. We picked up more swag including a finisher's mug and a cold towel and had some food. The food set was pretty nice, we grabbed pizza, cookies and some muscle milk for a complete breakfast!

Hung out for a while before packing up and heading home. We rehashed the race the entire way home and by the end of the afternoon, I had her signed up for another race, a sprint for July!

This week is back to work...I've got an olympic coming up in a few weeks!

Hope all is well with everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great race for you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! sounds like you had fun!! That olympic will be a blast! :)

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome!! Congrats to you both, it sounds like you had so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete