**Quick note, I was SOO not ready for this race, and by not ready I mean I finally remembered last Thursday that I had a race on Sunday…needless to say I scrambled to get ready!
Pre Race:
Me and my dedicated pit crew (my sister and my better half who both got up at 4am with me) got to the race site around 6:30, plenty of time before my transition closed at 8:05. Hit up the registration and packet pick up, set up my stuff and was done with that. Britney braided my hair, I went for a spin on the bike and was ready to roll!
Oh for the race today I decided to show some love for my mom and girlfriend: (BB is a nickname for Britney)
Needless to say I was waving a lot more this race!
Swim:
I had literally not been in a pool for 3 weeks. This was not going to be good. Or so I thought.
The horn blared and I hit the front of the pack. My wave (women 45+ and Athenas) was good sized but I managed to find clear water fast. I hit the turn around and turned on the gas (meaning my legs). I hit the beach in the midst of yellow caps (from the wave ahead) and ran up the hill to hit the time mat. My sister was at the top of the hill and said I was the first red cap out of the water. That was a nice surprise!
(Running up the top of the hill)
T1:
I didn’t even bother taking off my AquaTux on the run since I wanted to be the first in transition so I had to take that all the way off before getting ready for the bike. Still not a bad transition. Thanks to my sister for the shade hand off (I forgot to put my sunglasses in transition).
Bike:
This was actually a nice course. It was 3 loops of 5 miles so I got to see my extended pit crew (my mom and aunt came to watch) a few times on the bike. For the most part it was flat with a few small hills. This was the first race with my aero bars and once again, I loved them! I felt really comfortable in them and think I actually went faster (though I have no scientific proof).
On the bike flashing my handmade signs…get it?! Hu Hu.
T2:
Nothing special here except… that I almost fell over on the way into transition thanks to Greyt Times!! I had just hopped off the bike and was trying to find my land legs when I heard someone yell my name, so I whipped my head around therefore throwing off my delicate equilibrium and almost ending up on the gravel. Despite the throw-off, props to Greyt for coming out to cheer her teammates on!
Run:
Well seeing how I’ve been running about 20 miles a week (an absolute unheard of number for a hippo like me), my run was just fine. Not the fastest but not the worst. I just survived and I was happy with that.
Just heading out on the run.
The Finish:
Nothing special, but check out this awesome picture Britney got of me crossing the line!
The Numbers:
Swim: 8:54
T1: 1:41
Bike: 53:09
T2: 1:13
Run: 31:21
Total: 1:36:19
Place: 3/9 Athena (A good end to the season, all Top 5 Athena finishes)
Thanks to my pit crew for coming!
My aunt, sister, me and my mom.
Me and my better half (see we’re getting better at this picture thing!)
Well, classes start again today…for everyone else but me! Ahh…this is why I love researching!
Have an spectacular week!
wooooo congrats! (man, I need a better half that can braid my hair :))
ReplyDeleteGreat job!!! I had several friends doing that race. One was doing her first tri ever and she was in the Athena group and another friend was doing her 2nd. Recover well!
ReplyDeleteWhoohooo!! For not being ready, you sure did pull a nice one out of the hat. Great job and finishing photo of you is truly AWESOME!!!
ReplyDeleteARGH now I'm even more mad I wasn't able to make it up to the race. I didn't even know you were racing. Darn it! Another missed chance to hang out with Britney. :(
ReplyDeleteAnd, yes, POOR POOR me. Two weeks in Cozumel. Oh whatever will I do????