Here's the official race report of Saturday's 5K I ran with Liz:
As I said before, Britney and I got back from Iowa City really late Friday night and I had to take her to work early which meant I wasn't going to get my usual 8 hours of sleep. It was no surprise that I was still half dead when I picked Liz up for the race Saturday morning.
I still had to register so we got to the race site about an hour early. It was quite chilly but at least we got to chill in a building before heading out on the course. The entire hour before the race I was yawning and zoning out. I was not mentally prepared for this race at all and pretty much hoped to finish under 4o minutes (yea..that bad!). As I was wallowing in self-pity, Liz reminded me that if I finished too slow, she might make me walk home...basically telling me to get my ass in gear.
Obviously her little 'pep' talk worked! I started out strong and just kept with it. I tried to keep Liz in eye sight the entire course because that meant she was only a minute or so ahead of me. I started dying about mile 2 but then we got back on campus for the last 3/4 mile which made it easier. I finished strong and PR'd at 28:06 and felt great about that! That's a major improvement from past 5Ks and the best part is, this wasn't a flat course!
Hopefully the snow (yup, snow) will melt so I can get outside again!
No comments:
Post a Comment