Sunday, April 11, 2010

Shamrock Shuffle Race Report: My 9 mile 5K

On Saturday, Britney and I ran a local 5K together. It was BB’s 2nd 5K ever and we decided to make it quite the morning.

Remember I have that half marathon coming up in 2 weeks and have not been training like I should have been. So I decided to make up some of that lost mileage this morning.

The Plan: Run 4 miles to the race (the short route only would have taken 1.3 miles), race the 5K, and run 2 miles home, bringing the total for the morning to 9 miles. Britney was going to bike to and from the race, leaving us carless and forcing me to run home for sure.

The Execution: Perfect!

Run #1: The way to the race was flat and I ended up running 3.75 miles at a 9:43 pace, SWEET! I always get excited when my average pace is lower than 10 minutes.

Run #2 (the 5K): I stuck with Britney during the race and we finished in 32:59 for a 10:38 pace. In addition, one of my friends Karen and her sister Sheryl raced as well. Karen finished her first 5K and Sheryl rocked a PR by 2 minutes!

Here are the obligatory race pictures:

2010 Shamrock Shuffle 5K 005
(Pre-race)

2010 Shamrock Shuffle 5K 013
(Post-race)

Run #3: After the race we stuck around for the free pancake breakfast, since I needed to refuel for my run home, then we hit the road. Britney had fun with the camera on the 2.5 mile run home, which took a little longer (legs were sore and it was uphill).

2010 Shamrock Shuffle 5K 016
(Britney playing with the camera)

2010 Shamrock Shuffle 5K 022
(not bad since we’re both in motion)

2010 Shamrock Shuffle 5K 023
(the long road ahead)

In total I ran just over 9 miles, which was spectacular! Although I didn’t run 9 miles straight through, this was good because my legs got the mileage in back to back to back with not much rest. It was definitely a confidence booster that when push comes to shove, I’ll be able to finish the half marathon under the allotted time for the course (which will be an automatic PR).

Not to mention it was a good morning with the Better Half, I’m slowly but surely reeling her into the multisport lifestyle, if nothing else then to just join me when I train!

Ok, back to the books…have a good night!

4 comments:

  1. a great confidence building run mixed in with a race...very clever! now you know you can sqeeze out another 4 miles if push comes to shove and there you have a half Mary. Sweet! also very cool that BB is joining you for some of the races and training. personally, I cherish the rides my better half and I do more than anything. they are that much more enjoyable when shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!!! I totally did that once when I had to do an 18-miler for marathon training - ran 6 miles to downtown, did the Turkey Trot 10K with my husband and dad, and then ran the 6 miles home. Way to be tough and get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! Good luck in your half marathon in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now thats what I call hardcore, go race, then run home!!!

    ReplyDelete