I still haven’t processed the entire thing, at this point, the more I think about the DNF, the more upset I get about it. Here’s the race report and I’ll be back in a few days with more post-race/post-season thoughts.
Pre-Race:
As you may or may not have picked up, I was not extremely excited about this race. Sure, once I got to the race site, I started to feel it, but the weeks leading up to it were busy and training moved to the back burner. However, my Sherpa three (Ma, Sandi and a buddy) were great to be around race morning and were fantastic at their jobs!
I got to the race site and set up my spot in transition and remained relatively calm. The weather was freezing for Texas standards, I could see my breath! I wasn’t prepared for the coldness, but hanging out near a lake in the morning can do that. I knew the water would be warmer than the air and hoped that it would warm up once the sun peeked out.
Swim:
After a 10 minute delay to let the fog lift, I made my way to the water’s edge along with 40 of my closest friends. I hit the water and found a good rhythm. The body contact wasn’t too bad, for the most part I had clear water. However, after about 15 minutes I started feeling pretty crappy, which has never happened on the swim. I knew I was going to throw up so I drifted over to the side away from other swimmers just as my breakfast made its way back up. I tread water for a second to get my bearings back and started swimming. I felt great after that and hit the shore about 3 minutes faster than in Racine, even with my pit stop.
T1:
They had wetsuit strippers here, which my first brush with these animals and they rock! So after being stripped, I made my way to my stuff, washed off my feet (why do they always insist on mowing the day before a race and not bag the grass??). Grabbed my arm warmers on a whim and bolted.
Bike:
The weather that day was much colder than I had anticipated and was prepared, and although I was warm during the swim, as soon as I got on the bike, I froze, and I couldn't warm up. My toes were wet and couldn't dry and were freezing to the point were it hurt to pedal. My thighs felt like blocks of ice when I tried to stand to stretch and get the blood flowing. I kept my hands moving by shifting and breaking and I had arm warmers on so my arms were ok.
I went out easy the first 5 miles and just keep focusing on warming up and keeping my body moving, but by mile 10 I was starting to slow down, and to top it off, my stomach wasn't feeling well, again. I pulled over around mile 14 or 15 and promptly threw up.
I got back on the bike and was determined to make it work and gave myself 10 more miles, if I was still freezing and couldn't keep liquids or nutrition down, then I was done, and if I felt good then I'll keep going.
By the time I hit those 10 miles, I was colder than I had ever been (and I'm from Iowa). At that point, I was actually braking on the down hills to go slower to stay warm, which was a good indicator at just how cold I was (who the hell brakes on the down hill so they won’t go faster than 12 mph??). I had taken in more calories but started to feel my stomach rebelling again. I pulled over, got it called in and was picked up. My race was done.
I got back to transition, and called my mom (who I think had a minor heart attack as evidenced in her immediate reaction of ‘did you crash??’). I managed to avoid the medical tent, only because I had Sherpas waiting for me with dry clothes and blankets. I felt like someone had poured ice freezing water in my bloodstream and it was just coursing throughout my body. It took me a good 30 minutes wrapped in blankets and dry clothes to fully warm up.
So, there you have it. Nothing spectacular. I’m not happy about it and to be honest I’ve been plagued the last few days on whether I made the right decision. Now, before you say the standard ‘you made the right decision, there will be next season, blah, blah, blah’ crap, think about how you felt about your first DNF or how you would feel if you had just DNF’d for the first time after swearing the only way you would leave the course is on a stretcher.
I do take comfort in the support I get from my family and friends and I take special comfort in the support I get from you guys because if anyone is going to understand how I feel or what its like to ‘fail’, its you guys. So thank you for your spectacular support throughout this season, especially during the last few months. You all rock.
Regardless of how the day ended and how I feel about it, I had three great Sherpas, two of which traveled 1000 miles to be there. You all know how much Sherpas hold together the sport and the athlete, so make sure you take good care of them, because if you’re freezing in the middle of Texas, you want them to have your back!
Stay warm.
I thought I was the only person who has pukie on the swim, at least you had the manners to move to the side, I didnt
ReplyDeleteOk, it wasnt because of the training, it was due to the elements, you cant blame yourself when the elements are bad. Somethings are just out of your control. Is it better the DNF and avoid hypothermia? I say yes, and so will everyone else.
I know this doesnt make things all better, but your pukie will be up on Friday
I promise not to give you the standard answer, I totally get it. I have so much to say I should probably send you an email instead.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a tough day all around (although congrats on the faster swim (hurling and all)!) DNF's never feel good, and as athletes, we always are going to second guess ourselves when we send up the white flag. From your RR it sounds to me like it was a very smart decision, but a tough one too.
It took guts to step up to the line, and it took even more guts to admit it was time to stop.
The simple fact is that you have had phenomenal changes, chaos, and stress over the past few months leading up to this race, so it was just super tough to keep your head in the game and keep the training going.
But the other thing is, you can take something from this, channel all that questioning and regret you are feeling and channel it your 2011 season, and attack it with a vengeance.
Hugs to you Maria, you are awesome!
Sometimes - trained or not - we have a bad race day. I'm so sorry you got sick in yours!!!! But i agree with the above poster, you can channel that frustration into an even better 2011! Rest up!
ReplyDeleteYeah, this will suck for a while...so let it suck and bug you, then get over it. No point dwelling on something you can't change, just learn from it and try to do better in the future. One lousy DNF does not a life make, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI agree with my buddy Caratunk - you have been through a TON of upheaval these past few months. Is that an excuse? No, but it's a damn good reason for not being as prepared as you'd hoped to be.
Does this DNF make you less of a person, or less of an athlete? Hell f---ing NO!!!
So there.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that this happened. DNF is better than a DNS, so hats off to ya for starting. Those were some TOUGH conditions!
ReplyDeleteWell take some time off and regroup for next year! This race is going to be a blip compared to what you will be accomplishing next year.
great race report. Hoping to read more reports..
ReplyDeleteGah, so sorry to hear your race didn't go how you'd hoped. I'll just add that sh*t sometimes happens and, well, it's really just a race, something you do for fun. It's not yr job and it's not worth risking serious injury or health consequences over. Use the lessons you learned (i.e., about the importance of staying warm) to make yourself stronger and live to fight another day!
ReplyDelete