aka: a true test of my stomach.
So I decided that I was going to PR at this race, for no real reason other than I was getting bored with running and thought I’d really push it. It also helped that I had my Garmin to constantly see my pace (this was my first race with my Garmin too).
Usually when I decided to do something, I do, and today was no different. But I didn’t realize how much it would hurt!
So I dragged my sister with me (the better half was out of town) and headed to the park just over the river. I ran this race last year so I knew it was flat, a perfect chance to PR.
Blah blah blah…
Boom, the race began!
(Just passing Emily just after the start)
Mile 1: 9:01
I felt pretty good, at this point my body had warmed up and I found my rhythm. My head was in the game and I was ready to blow this race away. Could I keep this up for 2 more miles? Sure, why not.
Mile 2: 9:04
Well holy shiznit, I just might do this thing, this is the fastest I’ve ever run before! Still feeling confident and naive, I have no idea the amount of pain that is going to happen…
Mile 3.1: 9:39
Oh my god…mile 2 to 3 was the longest mile ever, it was way longer than 5280 feet, that is for damn sure. My body started talking to me...loudly:
Neck: Are we there yet?
Head: No, just a little bit longer.
Arms: Are we there yet?
Head: No, just a little bit longer.
Legs: Are we there yet?
Head: No, just a little bit longer.
Stomach: Are we there yet?
Head: No, just a little bit longer.
Stomach: Legs, speed up, or I’ll make this body stop.
Legs: You move faster, we’re doing our best! Screw you, we’re doing the work.
Stomach: I got two words for you ya twerps. Breakfast. Rerun.
Legs: Ok, gotcha… moving faster.
Head: Ok, here’s the finish, kick it up just for a few more seconds, stomach, if you rerun my breakfast I’ll never forgive you and that means no more ice cream.
Stomach: Point taken, I’ll be quiet.
Final time: 27:42 (that is a whooping 8:56 pace…not bad for this hippo, huh???) A definite PR!
Needless to say, I was pooped with a capital P, but excited with a capital E. There were several times that I wanted to walk, especially during the second half, but I was stubborn enough to finish what I started and was really pleased with the result. I’m certainly not going to expect paces like this every race but it’s a confidence booster to know what I’m capable of.
Now I don’t feel as bad about slacking off on the training this week. Next week will be filled with plenty of running as I’m travelling but will take my shoes with me for some speed work!
Nice!!!!!! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteTell the stomach to hush, legs rule the joint
Congratulations on your PR!!!!! Those short races HURT but are a good mental test :)
ReplyDeleteWOOHOO!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on that PR. I agree with Molly. Short races hurt like hell. Love those photos of you. I think they perfectly capture how I usually feel too during & after a 5K.
way to PR!!!
ReplyDelete