Pre-Race:
JC and I went to Houston to stay with our friends the night before. We had a nice dinner, hung out, and went for dessert:
![]()
I carb load like a freakin’ champ!
The morning of the race, JC and our friends were up at 5:30am like true troopers and we drove to the race site in Sugarland. We parked and walked to the start line, which was in a center plaza of sorts. The non-runners booked it towards the nearest Starbucks, which was approximately 100 yards from the start line…very convenient.
![]()
Much more cheery after getting coffee.
![]()
Representing the Hawkeyes! (although I’m next to a Buckeye)
The race:
I should say that this race was an experiment of sorts, given the type of training I’ve been doing. I’ve been running about 5 times a week, although it has not been very distance orientated (longest run was 5 miles). I’ve also been biking 3-4 times a week and then working out for an additional hour 4-5 times a week. So while I have not been endurance training exactly, I’m much more fit than I have been in a long time.
Like usual, these races tend to be a blur. I couldn’t tell you what I think about while I trot a long. The course was a nice flat course with a 2 loop type of set up. It was in residential areas but it was clear that the residents were not super pleased by the race (given the lack of spectators and the number of honking horns). I started out well, although probably too fast, which came back to bite me in the butt later.
After mile 4 or so, I settled in into my run/walk routine since my hips started hurting at that point (a sign of the lack of endurance-related training). I would run for 6-7 minutes at a 9:30 pace (a result of my speed training) and then walk for a few and repeat. I kept trudging a long and got to see my faithful spectators at mile 6 and mile 10, which was really great!
![]()
Drenched from the humidity half way through the race.
After stopping for a pit stop, and trudging along at my hippo-pace, the end was finally near. I finished strong with a sprint for the last half mile, crossed the finish line and collapsed (don’t worry, not med tent worthy)…my legs were spent.
![]()
My time was 2:22:00…a PR by 12 seconds!
The conclusion of my experiment: the training worked well. I actually PR’d even with the bathroom break. My lungs felt great and I never felt tired during the race (good fitness level). However, I need to strengthen my hips and add at least some distance to gain fitness in my legs.
Post-race:
My buddies and I had planned to go for a bike ride after the race, so I hit the ice bath to help with recovery. JC found this entertaining:
![]()
After a shower and an awesome lunch, I felt human enough, so the four of us hit up one of the local trails for a ride. The weather was awesome and the company was even better.
![]()
The three Ohioans…I need a Hawkeye’s jersey!
![]()
I need a Hawkeye’s jersey badly!
The ride was great, my legs felt good, as I thought they would have. This was the first time in a long time that I’ve ridden with more than one person, and I know JC and I will ride with our friends again!
The weekend was a great success, and now I’m in a world of hurt as my legs are super sore, which as we all know happens the day AFTER the race. I’ll play it low key this week before getting back to the grindstone next week!
Happy training!
No comments:
Post a Comment