I have a problem. (Keep all sarcastic comments to yourself please).
My problem: I hate running.
Shocking, I know. But here’s the deal. I skipped not one, but two 6 mile runs this week as part of my half marathon training, and I don’t even feel bad about it! That’s how I know I have a problem. I’ve skipped workouts before and felt bad, but now I don’t.
This isn’t a case of missing HTFU juice, this is a case of IDGAF (I Don’t Give A F*ck). Here are my thoughts on this:
1) Rationally, I understand this is a mental issue and not a physical one. I trust my body enough to know that I can go the distance, it’s a matter of wanting to.
2) I’ve NEVER had the urge to go running. I’ve had urges to go for a swim, and for a ride, but never a run.
3) When I do run, I train to finish. I don’t train to get faster or better, I simply want to survive within given time boundaries. This is sad because if I shaved off a few minutes on the run I would move up in rankings easily!
4) Helga the Hippo is now Bertha the Buick. I run like a car. Meaning there are only so many miles in me before I go kaput. In this case, I only have so many miles in me per week. That number appears to be 20. I’m screwed.
5) I also think I’m just tired of running since 95% of my workouts have been running instead of the three sport split that I’ve been used to for the summer.
Tomorrow I have 9-10 mile run. Wish me luck and let’s leave it at that.
You know, that sounds a LOT like me and swimming a few years back. Be patient with yourself. A lot of folks I know who are not fond of running or are relatively new to it do much better with the Galloway run-walk method rather than straight running the whole time. Perhaps something to consider if you're not already doing that.
ReplyDeleteHang in there!
20 miles a week is nothing to balk at. That's a LOT of miles (FAR more than I've been doing this summer, and I'm a runner!)
ReplyDeleteDon't be afraid to cross train if you don't feel like running. I know how hard it can be to fight your own head. Sometimes ANY workout is better than nothing!
Keep up the good work!
So tell me again WHY you are doing this half marathon????
ReplyDeleteFunny, I'd never heard of IDGAF - that's pretty funny. Learn something new every day. :)
ReplyDelete