Thursday, October 1, 2009

Post Season Let Down

My triathlon season is over and school has taken over full force, and it’s depressing. I had a great season this year, 5 triathlons, 5 top 5 finishes in my divisions with 3 podium placements. Pretty good for my second season.

But now reality is back, making triathlon season seem like a summer fling that gets lost when fall rolls around (think Summer Lovin’ via John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John). My thesis research is on full force, and I’ve got the GRE’s coming up. Not to mention 5 applications for schools are waiting for me to complete.

With all that, I’ve totally slacked on the working out thing. I haven’t been in a pool in 2 weeks, have only ran twice, and haven’t touched my bike since before the Tri-Hawk. While it may be beneficial to get some rest after a busy (busy for me, not for IM trainers) season, I’m finding myself getting depressed about it. I need that time for myself, and I need to keep my body moving, especially since I stare at computer screens all day. I get crankier if I don’t workout, and that’s not fair to my better half.

The only problem is, I can’t seem to find the time or proper motivation to work out. I may be able to squeeze something in here, or there but that’s not when my mind wants to work out. So not only do I have to fight with my schedule to find time, but I also have to fight with my head to get in the game!

I know this is temporary, or at leas I’m sure it is. I had a blast this season. I can’t wait to prepare for next season and am in the process of putting that schedule together. Maybe my head just needs time to rest. For now, I guess I’ll live vicariously through the blogs!

3 comments:

  1. maybe you can sign up for a late season race? something to get you motivated but nothing too big ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all your accomplishments this season!

    I'm sure you are experiencing sort of a post-season blues. Any winter events in your area that you can train or cross-train for? Maybe traveling to a race in a warm place for the holidays might help get your mojo back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the donation Maria!!!

    BTW - it is fine to be taking time off now that your season in over. Keep it random - something here and there. But set a date when you will really get back into a training schedule. And stick to it!

    ReplyDelete