Sunday, August 9, 2009

Helga’s First 8 Mile Run

Helga the hippo here, reporting on my first 8 mile run…ever.

The plan of the run was go to early (8am) so it was still ‘cool’ and be back before it started raining. Since this was going to be a long run, I asked my better half if she would serve as my pack mule for the run…and she said yes!

This morning I got up and packed my bag that Britney was going to wear while she bikes with me: my hat, a towel, water bottles and shot bloks.

8 mile run 8-9-09 001

Just after 8am we were off!

The plan was to run slow and run as far as I could before starting to walk. I was also going to eat one blok for every mile with water and some heed. What the plan didn’t account for was 100% humidity and 80 degree weather that early in the morning.

The first half was pretty uneventful, I just ran…I ran so far away…I just ran, I ran all night and day…I couldn’t get away.

The second half didn’t go quite as smoothly, I was really starting to feel the heat:

8 mile run 8-9-09 018

I walked a little every mile on the way back but I still kept at it. Britney offered her support whenever she can, but we need to work on her tone, I’m a tough love type of girl, whereas she’s used to giving children positive feedback.

8 mile run 8-9-09 008

I finally made it home making the 8 mile trek in 1:38, a 12:15/mile average, which I’ll take for this distance and this heat. This is what I looked like when it was done:

8 mile run 8-9-09 023

Me and my better half after the run together, she was the best pack mule ever!

8 mile run 8-9-09 025

I’ll let you know if I’m walking tomorrow!
Have a good one!
Helga

4 comments:

  1. Great job! That's a whole lot of heat and humidity to contend with - I would MELT! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's pretty much what I look like too after my runs in FL -- just totally beat and drenched!

    Way to get it done. I soooo wish I had a pack mule. Can I borrow yours? :-)

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'd forgotten about that 3 yr old post and it was good to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture (the after-run) is CLASSIC! love it !

    ReplyDelete