I finally started running again this week. Yay.
However, instead of running outside and trying to get good miles in, I’ve been staying inside working on the treadmill working on speed.
Yes. You heard that right, Helga the Hippo wants to get faster for next season.
So far I’ve been going in unstructured, wanting to work on both speed and endurance, meaning no short sprints at really fast speeds. This is what a typical workout on the treadmill has looked like so far:
Warm up: 5 minutes at 9:15 pace
1 minute walk at 17:00 pace
Main Set: 2 minutes at 8:00 pace
1 minute walk
3 minutes at 8:00 pace
1 minute walk
(repeat 3 times)
Cool Down: 5 minutes at 9:15 pace
All of those speeds (with the exception of the walking) are faster then I've been running. My hope is that by working on this all winter mixed with adding more distance both on and off the mill that I’ll be running 9:15-9:30 minute miles next season for 5K and 10K distances. At the end of this season I was averaging 9:45-9:50 minute miles so this goal should be within reason simply because I’m trying to shave off 30 seconds max instead of trying to drop a few minutes.
In other news: I got me a new bike toy! (Now, I just need the new bike!) May I present to you the new home for my H2O bottles:
(Picture courtesy of xlab.com)
I got myself a super wing system! I skipped the CO2 attachments, but did get the two bags for when I’m biking longer distances (specifically when I’m IM training in a few years). I’m pretty excited about it and have already started practicing taking bottles in and out while riding.
Well that’s all that’s new with me, how are you guys? I know most of you are probably just sitting around doing nothing…or you know getting ready to race IRONMAN (Molly, Greyt and Trishie)!!
P.S. Quick shout out to ShirleyPerly who just finished her second IM distance race in 3 FREAKIN’ WEEKS! I can only hope I’m half as in shape as she is when I’m her age!
Your running plan sounds like a good one! I have that attachment on my bike too. I don't take the bottles in and out while riding though because I totally suck at that - it's my method for carrying all my nutrition bottles for IM and I'll just toss a bottle and rotate one up to front to use at aid stations when I get water.
ReplyDeleteOK, that sounded weird. AT aid stations when I'm getting water, I will toss the old nutrition bottle and move the new one up from the back carrier. Better? :)
ReplyDeleteHey, thanks for the shout out! Keep up the training and I'll bet you'll be miles ahead of me when you're in your late 40's.
ReplyDeleteNice speed work plan and new bike toy. I've never been able to reach behind me for bottles when riding well but it seems to work for others (like my husband). Maybe something to work on in my off season.
Have fun on the mill!
very cool new toy :) (thanks for the shoutout!)
ReplyDeleteVery nice, the rear rack systems are my best friend for long rides...well...that and a place to refill them. :)
ReplyDeleteim working on my running this offseason too
ReplyDeletelove the new toy