The experiment: to go for a run (3 miles) at a constant slower pace (10-11min) to check out the heart rate status.
The conditions: 8:00am Saturday morning, 23*F, cloudy, flat course
The results:
As you can see, the results didn’t go very well. I still stayed in Z4 most of the time, only peeking into Z5 slightly. The first half was spent at a 10:30 pace and the second half (as you can see by the spikes) I threw some 30 second sprints in there, followed by 30 second walks just to see how fast my heart rate drops. The major spike was when I walked for a few minutes before finishing up the run at a 10:30 pace.
The conclusions: I’m still not too worried about this, although it will be interesting to watch as I start to workout again. Next time I swim (which might be a while) I’ll be sure to test out my theory of a low HR in the water. If nothing else this just gives me empirical proof that I am not built or wired to be a runner.
HR is going to be all over the board in the water. I've found HR files from swimming to be useless. How did you define your HR zones? Just using the standard HR equation? You might want to find/pay a coach for a one-time HR test so that you are sure your definition of those zones is correct. Then, as I told my sister who was suffering from the same issue - SLOW DOWN!
ReplyDeleteI swear when I am swimming consistently my HR drops a ton during time on the bike and running. It may be a bad sample size, (n=1), but it seems to work for me.
ReplyDeleteYou might need to manual calibrate your HR, the pre set zones could be off.
ReplyDelete