Well February is off to a slow start, which is unfortunate because February is a short month. I’ve been busy with school, as my defense is coming up and I’m preparing for that with meetings and thesis changes.
However, that’s not the excuse for my lack of training: I just didn’t want to. Looking at my monthly goals I know that while they may seem high, I know they are attainable, if I apply myself.
I started fairly strong this week, including a good swim set and solid bike sessions. But after that, I fizzled out. I was on the bike several times this week, as evidenced by my slightly sore lady parts. But in all areas I dropped the ball.
Part of me is disappointed in myself, part of me doesn’t care, and part of me is just tired. When I think of my upcoming season I get excited. I’m excited for my tri races and I’m for my road races but when I think about the road ahead to the races, I just can’t get excited. I know that’s probably just a weird week but it’s still annoying just the same. I’m not mentally as tough as I need to be and at this point I’m not really sure how to toughen up. Any suggestions would help!
So, as of right now I’m not on track to meet my monthly goals, but I’m not giving up yet. I still have plenty of time to get my training in and show myself that I’m dedicated to making this season even better than the last.
On a slightly more positive note, I have a better idea of my racing season, my first triathlon is just a few weeks away and is my first indoor race. Check out the list to the right for more about this season.
Hope everyone else’s training is going better than mine!
I think it's fairly normal for February. The races seem far away and the weather makes training suck. Keep your chin up, you'll get through it!
ReplyDeleteHey Maria! I totally agree with Molly - Add to the fact that you're SUPER BUSY with school and working on your thesis...It sounds, rather than a lack of motivation, that you just have a very good balance. Hang in there! There's still plenty of time left for the 2010 season... just keep doing what you're doing - keep chipping away at that training. By the time spring and summer rolls around, you'll be GREAT! (And not burnt out by doing way too much too soon!)
ReplyDeleteOnwards and upwards - you're doing GREAT!
Don't waste your life in doubts and fears: spend yourself on the work before you, well assured that the right performance of this hour's duties will be the best preparation for the hours or ages that follow it.
ReplyDeleteRalph Waldo Emerson
We all have those weeks when things just don't happen as we'd planned. Nothing like a new week to pick the ball back up. My coach would say don't dwell on the past!
ReplyDeleteI just exited a funk myself. Glad you liked the chicken. No broccoli though? hehe
ReplyDeletethanks for visiting my blog, www.my140point6milejourney.blogspot.com. It's so hard to get "into" training when you've got a million and one other things pulling at you but i think as the race season gets a little closer, your training will come right into focus. we all hit those blurry spots where you can't quite see the goal ahead but no worries, don't force it and just roll with it for now and things will come around. ok, i'm following your blog now and will put your link on my blog list for future updates.
ReplyDeleteMaria, just curious, you mentioned on a comment on my last blog post that you started running marathons 2 years ago. What was it that made you want to do marathons? What was the defining moment when you said, i'm gonna do marathons : )
ReplyDeletemid-life crisis with a silver lining that's for sure! good deal. i'm technically off today from work b/c of president's day but i'm at work doing some OT but having way more fun reading blogs and commenting. i have my priorities!
ReplyDelete