Friday, June 26, 2009

An Anniversary and the Calm Before the Storm

Today marks my one year anniversary into the sport of Triathlon. Last year at this time I was sitting at work outside reading a magazine (Triathlete Magazine) since I was bored when the idea struck me...I could do this, I could do a triathlon.

That thought sparked interested and by the that night I knew a ton about triathlons, Ironmans, and the differences between T1 and T2 and aluminum and carbon bike frames. Back then I thought I'd start small and just train for the rest of the summer and wait a year before signing up for one, but that didnt last long (I did three sprints in the fall).

Now a year later I'm sitting in the calm before the storm: the Hy Vee approaches. My first olympic distance race ever and it's one of the biggest races in the nation after just 3 short years. Let's take a short look back over the past year to see how evolution into endurance happens:

Maria in 2008 on:
  • Swimming: I miss swimming but I'm retired, no more racing and stupid swim caps, but it will always be in my blood. Once a sprinter always a sprinter...
  • Biking: I love my mountain bike with awesome shocks and handle extensions!
  • Running: WTF...if I'm not being chased or chasing an ice cream man, I'm not doing it.
  • Spandex: Wouldn't be caught dead in that stuff...no one needs to see that much of me!
  • Ironman: Those guys are absolutely insane! Why would you do that to yourself?!
  • Bonking: ha ha...what a funny noise.
  • Kona Hawaii: umm...well I know it's not the capital...
Maria in 2009 on:
  • Swimming: It feels so good to be back in the water, it's definitely my domain. Screw sprints, how are 50's and 100's going to help my endurance?! (I know they do, that's not the point)
  • Biking: Wow, racing is SOO much easier on a road bike, even if it's an entry level bike! Who knew bike shoes could help so much too!
  • Running: I still hate running...but at least I'm doing it...13.1 here I come beetch!
  • Spandex: Dont leave the house without it... when I'm biking or running.
  • Ironman: Ok, those people are still insane, but now I want to be one of those people!
  • Bonking: worst nightmare.
  • Kona Hawaii: hell on earth in the form of a race.
Quite a bit has changed, but in good ways. I'm excited to see what the next few years in this sport brings as well. But for now I'm just hanging out and getting ready to head to Des Moines tomorrow for the big weekend. I'll be back sometime next week with the race report!



Finish or bust!!

3 comments:

  1. You were working on your birthday? Thats lame. Oh wait, you worked on your birthday this year too. happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!

    I just hit my 1-year last month, and it's exciting. Although, I can't believe you did THREE sprints in one fall. Wow! Good luck this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post, it's so funny how our perceptions change after a year in the sport.

    I love this quote though from 2008: "WTF...if I'm not being chased or chasing an ice cream man, I'm not doing."

    :)

    ReplyDelete