So yesterday morning after renewing my license (so I could have a valid one for the HyVee triathlon check in), I packed up my bike with water bottles, extra tire stuff and threw some chews in my jersey pockets and I was off.
The course was a simple out and back on Herbert Hoover Highway going to a small town about 20 miles away and back. This road was known for being hilly and has been on the RAGBRAI a few times in the past so I knew it was biker friendly.
I set out and headed to the first of three towns that I was going to pass through and was making good time for me. The whole plan of the ride was to practice my climbing 'skills'. I wanted to a) not die on hills, b) stay in the saddle as long as possible and c) move as fast up the hill as I could without being dead on the downhill.
Well, the plan worked on the way out, I was moving quite quickly both on the downhills and the uphills and was staying in my seat for many of the high rollers. I hit the halfway point at just over an hour and was feeling good. However, I hit a massive head wind on the way back and was starting to get really tired and completely lost focus, I just wanted to get home in one piece. I managed to salvage much of the second part and ended up with a decent time for me: 2:20 minutes, my longest ride ever. Here are some things I learned/mulled over while riding:
- I need larger water bottles (barely made it through)
- I'm going to need bike shorts with padding (my lady parts are quite sore today!)
- What the hell am I doing on a 40 mile bike ride?
- What the hell am I doing thinking about a half iron distance next year?
- I need to finely tune my bike before next weekend, it's making noises
- Ok, I'm hungry, how can I convince my parents to buy me lunch?
- Sweet only 4 miles until I get off this hell on two wheels!
- I'm really glad Britney loves me cause she's gonna have to stare at weird tan lines all summer!
I'll be back in a few days with a tentative plan for next season! Stay dry and cool.
Nice work on the long ride! Good luck at HyVee next weekend!
ReplyDelete