Monday, June 1, 2009

Preparing for the Pig

My first race is just around the corner and I'm getting more excited/anxious each day. Now that I know more about the sport/culture of triathlons, I know there is more to worry about. Last year I didnt know what a transition was and now I need to practice them (especially with the AquaTux). But at the same time, I know I can get through sprints 'easily' (that's a relative term). I'm still focusing on Hy-Vee.

Back to the Pig...I've been doing brick workouts to train my leg muscles to move from the front to the back and it's been going well. I finally made it back to the pool on Thursday and swam enough to know I'm prepared for the Sprints. This morning I did an indoor duathlon...ran 2 miles, biked 20 minutes and ran another 2 miles back to back. I had negative splits for the run...I guess I need to work on consistency again: Mile 1: 10:32 min; Mile 2: 9:22 min; Mile 3: 9:54min; Mile 4: 8.39. At least I know I have the power to go faster, I just need to get it under control!

Saturday I got out on the bike for a 20 mile ride to a near by town and back. I would have gone further but didnt bring enough nutrition...I really need to get powder, I'm sick of drinking warm water on the rides! As soon as I get my car back (oh yea did I mention that my new car needs a new engine?! So instead of getting a new bike, I have to pay for the car repair...but enough about that...the glass is half full....that damn glass is half freaking full!) I need to go nutrition shopping...an suggestions?

Later this week I'll start packing (I'm heading home before driving to Palo for the race)...I'm sure I'll be back before then!

Happy Training!

2 comments:

  1. Yes!!! The PIG! We have to make sure and meet up at some point!

    Nutrition - start with something easy, like Gatorade Endurance Formula. Get used to drinking that since it is served on most courses. For additional calories, find yourself a gel. GU, Power Bar, Hammer....

    Don't be shocked with your runs off the bike. I run much faster off the bike than I do just starting a run cold. So, those splits don't surprise me at all. GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain, rain, go away......

    I'll be there right when transition opens at 6am (probably a little sooner). I'll be wearing my Triathlon Racers of Iowa gear (I think only a few of us will be there).

    I'll also drop you a note tonight, letting you know my bib number.

    ReplyDelete