Welcome to my soap box, where I get to talk about whatever I want in whatever manner I want to regardless of the topic (lucky for you, this is triathlon related).
Today’s subject: energy chews packaging.
I went for an early bike ride this morning, biking out to Britney’s work about 16 miles away. I took some Jelly Beans with me, just cause they were free from this weekend. I was on the trail cruising along and reached back in my new Hy Vee jersey to grab the beans, took the corner in my mouth and pulled.
The damn corner ripped off without opening the package in the process!! Needless to say I was quite perturbed! Then I got thinking about it…
My energy source of choice are energy chews…aka gummies. Clif bar has the Shot Bloks, Power Bar has their chew/gel mixtures, GU has Chomps, there are Jelly Bellys, Sharkies, Luna Moons and I’m sure the list goes on. However, with the exception of the newly designed shot bloks, the packaging of these things are not biker friendly.
More often than not, they don’t open when you pull the ‘tear here’ tab, and then when they dont, you have to take both hands off the handle bars and either a) ride with no hands or b) ride using your elbows leaning over the handlebar. This can be safety issue if you’re not coordinated.
Luckily when I had to ride using my elbows today I didn’t crash, but it really got me thinking, why the hell aren’t more packages biker friendly?!
Clif Bar had the right idea going to their new tube packaging that makes it so much easier to use on the bike and apparently uses 30% less materials as well.
Clif Shot Bloks before the remodeling
Clif Shot Bloks after the remodeling
Dear other companies: I suggest you start thinking about redesigning some of your energy packaging…for safety reasons, for environmental reasons or for competitive reasons, I don’t care. But until you redesign your chew packages, I’ll be sticking with Shot Bloks on my rides just because I hate riding with my elbows, which is too bad cause you guys have tasty stuff!
Ok, I’m stepping off my box. Have a great 4th, stay safe!
Found your blog via Steve in a Speedo. (and am an ISU grad) I can't agree more!!! I'm mostly a runner, and let me tell you that even if you DO have both hands, it doesn't help. Annoying.
ReplyDelete