Friday, March 5, 2010

Just a Review: I hate running.

I know I should probably stop saying that because I know it’s more mental than physical, but man I sinseriously (that’s now a word, cross between sincerely and seriously) dislike running.

First off, there is my body. I’m bigger (about 170 lbs at 5’6”), I’m bulky, and I’ve got a bigger chest (PITA!). Therefore, it’s hard for me to find a rhythm and get comfortable. That’s probably the biggest thing, I just feel so uncomfortable running.

Second off, there is my mind. I would say that I’m a motivated and determined individual but when it comes to running, I’m a straight up wimp. Any excuse to quit running, I’ll take. I’ll even make crap up just to cut my run short or cancel postpone the workout. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't have written this paragraph because mental weakness is not a trait of a triathlete, but what are ya gonna do.

I’m gonna break another golden rule of triathlon: junk miles, specifically running junk miles. I know you’re supposed to have a specific purpose for each training session so you don’t wear yourself out, but when it comes to running, I have to have junk miles. Pretty much anytime you can get me to run, it’s a good thing and ya just better take advantage of it.

On another note, KC just tagged me to share 10 random things about me, so I’ll leave you with that! Enjoy!

1) I’ve got two middle names which leads to several aliases if I ever need them!

2) I have about 25 first cousins (that doesn’t include spouses and kids) in that is: siblings Jack and Jill, 2 Michaels, and 2 Matts (2 more Matts married into the family).

3) I’ve never broken a bone in my body despite having several runs to the ER and being accident prone growing up.

4) I don’t drink alcohol (I’ve never had a drink of it), coffee, tea, energy drinks or pop. Yup, no caffeine. The goal is to get through school (all freakin 10 years of it) with no drugs. 

5) Despite being called difficult, I’m still dating my first and only love, so even after 7 1/2 years, I must be doing something right! 

6) Growing up, my parents required participation in music to participate in sports. My siblings were in orchestra while I was in choir (doesn’t mean I was good, but I was in it!).

7) Currently in my car CD changer is: One Republic, David Guetta, Whitney Houston, Timbaland, Enigma, and Cher.

8)  My mom is an excellent role model. She’s beautiful, smart, funny, hard working and f-ing crazy!

9) I really enjoy school (hence the desire to continue).

10) Despite the complaining about training and running, I really really enjoy triathlons. It’s a physical challenge complementing my academic challenge of graduate school.

An extra #11) I love Celine Dion and am damn proud of it!

Have a good one!

3 comments:

  1. ok, i know a little something about running with extra goodies up front and i got those girls to stay put...really good jogbra and compression tank on top of that. i'm telling you they don't go anywhere and i run with no problem. now no more excuses missy! i'm a closet celine dion fan. my fave cd with her on it is the vh1 divas cd where it's her, cher, anastasia and the dixie chics w/stevie nicks singing landslide(that's a song that brings tears to my eyes everytime darn-it. Love David Guetta! So no alcohol, no caffeine, no drugs...do you have any vices? And of course, i love #5, that's rare but so special. have a great weekend MK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maria - I don't think its that you lack the mental focus/tenacity when it comes to running. Its hard to enjoy something when you're so physically uncomfortable when you do it... believe it or not, I used to be really really busty (until I was surgically altered. Most go for the augmentation. I went for the reduction). I did it back in college and am GRATEFUL for it - the procedure changed my life. I was still under my parent's insurance, and the surgery was covered...As it is, I still wear the best running bra I can find - yes, the boobs are mashed to my chest - but it makes a huge difference. There is NO bouncing. None. And I still prefer a sports bra to a regular one...Moving Comfort has some great bras. I also bought an industrial strength one from Zoot. Title 9 Sports has some really good bra selections online...Also - I TOTALLY KNOW what you mean about being bulky... I have a large frame, really large/dense bones - and used to weigh a lot more than I currently do. It is NOT easy...and when you're pressed for time between classes and family and everything else - the last thing you want to do is something that you aren't having fun with. I used to hate running in public and would go run on trails to get away from people seeing me...probably too much info - but just know that you're not alone! My email is mchrislaut@aol"dot"com... Feel free to email me at any time!

    I think its awesome that the two of you have been together and she's your first love. Same with me and Nathaniel...first guy I ever dated and WHAM - 10 years later we're still together.

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt nearly the same way about swimming as you do about running. I'm still nowhere near as fast as I'd like to be but at least I don't hate it any more. Glad you have #10 to keep you going. And I think #5 is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete