New Toys:
I got a new bike seat, the Cobb V-Flow Plus, last week and have had time to mess around with and go on some decent rides with it. Verdict: I love it! Granted I haven’t biked a century or anything so it might change, but the awesome thing is, I can return the seat up to 6 months after buying it. It took some getting used to, but there is no soft tissue pressure which is such a relief!
I finally got some fins for my swimming arsenal. My kick is really weak, (my legs are weak in general) so I thought I’d give these things a go. Verdict: Man, they make a difference! Yes, I move faster in the water and can really feel how my position affects the water flow around me, but man, they do make my legs work!
I got a case the new PowerBar Ironman Perform performance drink in the mail, for free, since I’m a Racine athlete. Cool, huh? They sent me the Orange Mango flavor and the bottles fit in the cages (which is nice). Verdict: Ok, I’ll be honest, I haven’t even opened it yet, let alone trained with it. I’ve been busy the last few days messing with my Infinit formula…had to get that tweaked a bit. But I’ll let you know when I give this stuff a try!
Training Mumbo Jumbo:
The short of it: I need to train more.
The short of it: I don’t really want to.
The long of it: This season has started out extremely slow but for no real reason. Even Britney has noticed it. I have time now to train, so that’s not a good excuse, but my head is just not into it. Training, that is. I still want to race and I’m certainly not throwing in the towel anytime soon, but I’ve just been in a multi-week slump that I can’t quite seem to climb out of. My mentality for Racine has slowly turned into ‘training to survive (aka cross the finish line)’ instead of ‘training to race’ like it should be. I’m not sure what happened, but I just can’t find my head!
Today one possibility hit me, not an excuse (because there is no excuse) but a possible explanation for my lack of mental sharpness this summer. At the end of July I’m moving back to Iowa City for a few weeks before permanently moving down to Texas for the next 4 years of my life. Here is a decently simple equation about why that is a problem for me mentally:
Where: B = Britney;
8 = # of years dating;
5000 = miles between TX and Italy;
F = Family; x = various moods I can be in when thinking about them;
1000 = miles between IA and TX;
4 = # of years living in TX;
T = advancements in technology (aka skype) and
Y = Degree of homesickness
So, needless to say, my head hasn’t been in Iowa, like it should be, it’s too busy worrying about being in freakin’ Texas!
But today is a start to a new week, and I have a race on Sunday. Whether or not I’m actually ready is to be determined. Below is my training schedule for the week, so feel free to keep me honest during the week.
Next Season:
I found a full iron distance race I’m thinking about doing, the Redman in Oklahoma City in September. Although I would love to do a sanctioned Ironman event, the closest to me is Ironman Florida and that’s still 12 hours away. There is no way I could swing that on a grad student budget or a grad student schedule, so OK City it is.
Now the dilemma of training comes up. It’s clear through this season that I really struggle mentally with long distance training (a sign that an annual IM distance race is out of the question), but I’m still going to race Redman next year just to get one full iron distance race completed. So to keep me mentally in the game do I go with a personal coach or simply join a local triathlon club? Or perhaps both?
The good news is that by living just north of Houston, I’ll have several opportunities for both and have found several options within my budget. Obviously both have their pros and cons. The coach will give more personalized training, while I’d be able to meet new people with a club (which is a major plus since I’ll be in TX by myself!). So for those of you that have either or both, I’d love to hear your feedback!
Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend, I’ve been getting caught up on the race reports (some with craptastic weather!) and have been excited to see how well everyone did!
For me, having a coach has made me accountable and that means I don't blow off workouts the way I used to. When it got to where I was signing up for an Ironman, I just knew I couldn't trust myself to come up with the right training plan and stick to it - that's how I got my coach! I am sure you will find a way to make it all work if you decide to do it.
ReplyDeleteAnd it's understandable that you are a little frazzled with the move and stress of separation coming up. The training might offer some stress relief though, you know? You've got a biggie coming up soon - time to stick to your plan and get the work done. Just think of it as doing what you can to make the race...not easy but less uncomfortable than it could be!
YAY for the new bike seat. A comfy seat makes all the difference in the world when riding to me.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with Molly on the coach. I love my tri club but they are training for different distances (mostly short courses) and the few that are training for long course races are very different pace-wise so we can't do much together either. Having a custom plan that's geared for my abilities and my goals, and having someone to report back to (not to mention, pay for), has made a huge difference to me. I still try to do workouts with a group when I can, though, as sometimes my coach will just say to do the group swim workout, for example.
I agree, a coach will do wonders, after 30 days with a coach, I noticed considerable improvements.
ReplyDeleteI raced in the craptastic weather, let me tell you, its was FUN!!! *rolling eyes*
With all the stuff you have to think about, it is understandable that you are stressed and maybe not so focused on training as you are on your future. You have some big changes coming!
ReplyDeleteWhen I start to lose focus for whatever reason
I try to get out for a ride/run/swim and I say I am going for 5 minutes...even if I didn't want to....if after 5 minutes I still think it sucks, then I go back. 99% of the time, I am ready to keep going. A lot of times all it takes is a few good rides or swims or runs to hit the reset button.
Another thing that helps is that I look at the race I have coming and think about how I want to feel at that race, and what I need to do to get there.
You are in a tough place, but you will work through it and come out stronger I am sure. Hugs to you and Brittney, and good luck!
Oh damn! I can't say I blame you for being so blah. Just a weekend away from my soulmate and i'm feeling lost. I do hope that Britney being in Iowa (or is it Italy?) is short lived and she can join you in Texas asap. I always think if Maslow's hierarchy which pretty much states that if you don't have the basics (love, food, shelter) the rest is non-existent until the basics/foundation is in place. Just keep putting one positive foot forward and repeat. The hardest part is getting going but once you start, the momentum will carry you.
ReplyDeleteI am my own coach so can't help you on that. I like the new seat. May need to look into one too as my delicate parts are not happy lately.
Nobody told me there would be math on this blog! If you have to choose between tri group or coach, I'd go group - you'll get some coaching and feel accountable to your new training partners.
ReplyDeleteHEY good luck this weekend!
ReplyDelete