Saturday, April 16, 2011

The ADD Indoor Triathlete

I have a problem (well, several, actually, but we’ll start with just one), and I know I’m not the only one with this problem.

Boredom.

It’s a disease that has affected hundreds of triathletes around the world. Although there have been several FDA approved preventions, the cure is still unknown.

I really don’t mind training, and I love working out and sweating, but when I train inside (which I’m forced to do most of the time because of my schedule/weather), I get bored and end up quitting earlier than I should. I know I could bike for hours or even run for a long time but my mind checks out and it’s difficult for me to focus.

This is not unique to training, believe me. I check out of class about half an hour into it (they are 3 hours long!) and I rotate through projects when I work so I don’t get bored with one specific piece. But my coping mechanisms for school and work don’t translate over to biking and running. I can’t exactly rotate through disciplines (although there are days where I’ll do 4 sets of 30 minutes on the bike and be good) and I can’t doodle while I run to let my mind wander. Granted, I haven’t tried that, but something tells me it wouldn’t end well! The spinerval DVD’s help for biking and I think I’ll get a subscription to netflix for more flavor, but in general, my mind needs stimulation, and its difficult for me to keep the focus during training. If by chance, you have any suggestions, feel free to throw them my way!

But for now I’m just putzing along, working with JC in preparation for our first race in a few weeks, the super sprint in Houston. This morning we went for a nice 2 mile run and will be heading to the pool later today. Tomorrow is a brick workout, JC’s first. I’m excited for this race because I’ll be racing with JC, who will provide priceless entertainment and it’s an all women event, my first of that kind. I think the atmosphere will be awesome!

Other than that, school is starting to wrap up, which is awesome. This summer will be class-free but will be filled with other research projects. If you’re interested in hearing about the projects I’ll be working on, let me know and I’ll fill you in. My dad and sister are coming to visit on Thursday, and I’m REALLY EXCITED for that visit! They will both be meeting JC for the first time and we’re going to have such a great weekend!

So with that I will leave you with a quick shout out to Loras College Dance Marathon (something I was involved in during my past life) who raised over $129,000 for the Children’s Hospital of Iowa! Show ‘em how its’ done Loras!

4 comments:

  1. Definitely Netflix helps. I've been watching Jersey Shore on the bike (the shame!), what a fucking trainwreck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I don't have ADD when it comes to training but I must have ipod at all times. Oh but i don't wear an ipod when I bike outside only when on the trainer. Never been able to watch a movie though b/c I do have ADD while watching a movie...haven't sat thru a movie in years but i digress, back to you. Do whatever it takes to get your training done and if that's netflix and spinervals then do it.
    We both have JC's now...'cept mine is a boy.Have a blast training for that all girl tri. Sounds like fun, especially when your gf is doing it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally have ADD during the work day. I have to have background music or the TV on to keep half of my brain focused on that and the other on work. But, for workouts, that is my time zone out. I gave up the iPod over a year ago and haven't looked back. Just me and my mind (and occasionally my bike) out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a protable DVD player? What I like to do is pop on a movie on the regular tv and I pop in a spinervals in the portable dvd player and just put in one earphone to listen to the commands of Coach Troy and get lost in the movie

    ReplyDelete