Monday, April 4, 2011

Who Knew There Was New News?

Ok, so it’s been over a month since my last real post. After weeks of promising I’ll be better about posting and reading, I’m sure you’re fed up with excuses and the whatnot. But let me bring you up to speed about what’s been happening in the Texas world of Maria.

Triathlon:
We’ll get to the important stuff (for you anyway) first to get it out of the way.

The short version: I’m not going to race in the full iron distance at Redman in September. Instead I’ll be doing the full aquabike.

The long version: After weeks of thinking about my training and racing this season and after months of dreading training (the tail end of last season, off season and the beginning of this season), I’ve come to an important decision (with the help of JC and the First Lady of the Arctic Tundra): I’m pulling out of the full iron and will be racing the full aquabike at Redman.

Why, you ask? Because my head is not in the game this season and I know I’d bomb the marathon. I’m confident in my ability to train for the swim and the bike but you all know how much I HATE running. I know that I could train myself mentally to like the run and overcome this hatred, but frankly, I don't have the time or the energy to training my head and my body. Also, training is no longer fun for me. And if training isn’t fun now, we all know it’s not going to be fun in 3 months when I’m trying to force myself to run 12 miles.

So, in order to bring the fun back into training, I’m revamping my racing goals for this season and next season. The goal to complete an Ironman is put on hold for the time being, I’ll revisit it in a few years. Next season I’m going to try to fit a marathon in so I can learn the distance without the overload of training for the 2.4 swim and 112 bike as well. For this season, I’m going to have fun with my super sprint, 3 olys and an aquabike.

Personal:
Definitely going hand in hand with my decision to change my race schedule, is updates to my personal life. Nothing serious or anything, but I’ve got a new full time Sherpa (aka a new girlfriend), JC, so as I’m sure you can imagine, my head is not always focused on training. JC is also a grad student at SHSU and she’s the poor soul that I’ve conned into training with me for a super sprint in May. Don’t worry, pictures of my new lady will be popping up shortly. 

Professional (aka school):
Nothing. Still read, read, read, write, write, write. Classes end at the beginning of May (thank god) and I’ll be spending the summer working on polishing up pieces to be published.

So, that is what is new with me. I’ve been keeping updated on what’s going on with you folks and will continue to do so for sure. I’ve also discovered the joys and the pains of Spinerval DVDs, I’m doing a lot of my riding indoors for the sake of time and those things will definitely kick my ass for the season!

Fun thing on tap this week: on Friday, JC and I will be going to see Lady Gaga in Concert in Houston…I. AM. SUPER. PUMPED.

Alright, over and out!

6 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you

    Email me at tri_diesel@yahoo.com and we will talk aquabikes, its a whole different style of racing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like all good changes as long as you are happy :-) VERY jealous of the concert!!! Take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a whole lot of lousy excuses. You can do the Ironman. Heck, you could walk the whole marathon and still beat the cut-off. This is not uncommon. Don't be afraid of it!!

    Do what makes you happy though! The aquabike sounds like an equally tough challenge. Take BDD's offer up!

    Glad to see you posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know... the full distance is so much mental and I commend you for realizing that you aren't ready for that yet! Physically I'm sure you could do it, but why be miserable! You'll love the aquabike! :)

    Yay for the new girlfriend! :)

    And have a ball at Gaga... I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there girl! Ha ha I like my title for sure! I felt it yesterday. Like I told you, I think this is totally the best decision for you - I think you are a rock star and are going to have a spectacular season. Without question, I would get in touch with BDD, he has done a few Aquabikes and could offer you some great insight.

    I love the new look to your blog BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW. Lots of new stuff, huh?

    Good to see you back!

    ReplyDelete