Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spinervals

I got one of these DVDs for free back in January when I got my new trainer and last month I got a chance to check it out. I loved it so I snagged a few more from the series and though I’d give you a run down of the DVDs I’ve tried. From the beginning I liked the idea of these DVDs because they featured real people, really suffering as I suffer alone in my apartment. Unlike other fitness DVDs which feature the picture perfect already-thin people, I get to spend my time watching middle age normal looking people sweat and I like that.

image

Spinvervals 27.0: Threshold Test and Suffer Fest

This is the DVD I got for free. It features interval work before a main set of a 20 minute time trial. It’s recommended to use every 6-8 weeks to measure progress during the season. This was the first one I used and I liked it although I probably won’t use it very often. It really tests your legs since Coach Troy takes the ‘snap’ out of your legs before the time trial even begins. Offers the music on/off option.

 

 

 

 

image

 

Spinervals 3.0: Suffer-O-Rama

The second DVD. An old DVD that features music, styles and bikes of the late 1990s but still kicks your ass. This is full of interval work ranging from 30 second sets to 3 minute sets. This is a good short but solid workout that I do at least once a week although I wouldn’t say I do it on an easy day! Does not offer the music on/off option so you have to suffer through their soundtrack of choice.

 

 

 

 

image


Spinervals 24.0: HILLacious

Just did this yesterday and it was a good one. Featuring three sets to target three types of hills, I really felt like I got a good workout. I’ll start doing this at least once a week to work on hill work for sure. Elevate your front wheel, and then get ready to climb. The main sets begin with a set designed to simulate a 4-6% incline. The second set focuses on rolling hills and the final set is short bursts of riding on a 10-12% incline. There is also a bonus chapter that goes over technique for climbing but I didnt get a chance to check that out yet. Offers the music on/off option.

 

 

 

That’s all I’ve got for now. I’ve got one more to try out, but its a 2 hour ride. I hope these summaries help anyone who is looking for more information on this series. I’ve really enjoyed them. Troy isn’t too annoying as he talks you through the workout and offers encouragement. Richard Simmons he is not. Thank god.

Happy Training!

3 comments:

  1. What the heck!!! I dont have the option of no music on mine!!! I am stuck with bad 80's techno music all ride!!!

    I suggest Total Time Trial

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 1.0 and 3.0. No Slackers Allowed and Suffer-O-Rama. I love (by love, I mean hate) the fact that they look totally 80's.

    Regardless, they kick my ass each time.

    I also have the IMWI Course Spinerval DVD. It does one loop of the course and is a really good way to visualize the course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh I picked up the IMLP course DVD and it helps alot with visualization!

    All spinerval dvds are corny if u ask me, I cant bare to watch them. Most are too short too, but to be honest I haven't tried them all or know them all.

    Thanks for the reviews! I look forward TO NOT EVER WATCH ANOTHER WORKOUT DVD UNTIL WINTER! No. More. Trainer!@$!$!!!!!!!

    Rain or shine or storm - I'm riding outdoors. :)

    ReplyDelete