Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pre-Season Assessment

Well I finally found some time to start training again, my school schedule isn't any less busy at this point but I'm working on it. D-Day is a week away and I know after that it will all be down hill.

The weather has been amazing here for the last few days so I was able to get out for a run and a ride. I've done a little pre-season assessment of myself to see where I'm at, I'm kinda happy, kinda not but now I know what I need to do. Let's take a look:

(Ratings go 1 through 10...1 is like really low quality chocolate that crumbles before it even gets to your mouth, 10 is a mixture of Lindt and Ghirardelli chocolate...mmmm) Keep in mind these ratings are in my physical ability context...no comparing me to some Australians or British or even really fast age groupers.

Swimming:

Speed: 6 -- right now I'm swimming around a 1:40-1:45 /100 yards pace which to me isnt terrible, considering I usually let my legs drag behind me. I gotta fix that. I'd love to drop that to 1:30ish by the end of the season.
Endurance: 9 -- although I haven't swam a straight mile sans the pull buoy, I'm confident enough in my ability. I've really built up my endurance from a year ago but I'll continue to do that.
Comments: Overall I feel really great about my swimming. I didnt have any problems with it last season for the sprints and I'm working up towards Olympic distance. Swimming has been my strength for years, now I just need to drop my times.

Biking:
Speed: 5 -- this is not good. I've been biking outside just a few times and my average speed is only around 15mph. I mean I'm ok with that for now but ultimately I'd like that up around 17-18mph, higher if possible but I am realistic.
Endurance: 7 -- I know I can survive a 25 mile bike ride, but it ain't going to be very pretty at this point. I'll continue to work on endurance but also need to run off the bike as well.
Comments: Holy sheeznit. Biking is hard. Or at least biking well is hard. This has officially slipped to my weak spot behind running (yea...I know, that bad). I definitely need to step this up..asap.

Running:
Speed: 8 -- ever since my PR a couple of weeks ago, I've been moving consistently faster. Now I range 9-10min miles depending on the distance. My 3 mile runs are around 9:00/mile but my longer runs are slowing up to 9:30-10:00, which I'm ok with. I'd love my splits to be around 9:30/mile for both distances this season.
Endurance: 8.75 -- I can run 6 miles. I know I can run it consistently within my pace. What I dont know is how it's going to look after the biking and swimming thing. Although last season, I consistently ran 10:30/miles during the sprints and during 5Ks without the swimming and biking. That works in my favor.
Comments: I'm feeling more comfortable running. Now I just need to work on the distances and keep adding to those. I'm feeling really good considering my relationship with this sport, but it's moved up to the middle so its no longer considered a 'problem child'.

So that's where I'm at right now, I'll keep trudging away and keep ya posted.

Get outside and enjoy the weather before it's gone again (stupid Iowa..)!

1 comment:

  1. I love your 1-10 chocolate rating!

    I think we're at a similar place: my biking needs the most work, and my running is doing OK! Good luck getting it all together!!

    ReplyDelete