Saturday, January 2, 2010

A year in review and goals for the new one.

2009:
(don’t laugh at the pathetic numbers)

Swim: 79,200 yards
Bike: 956.75 miles
Run: 450.75 miles

Triathlons: 5/6 (3 sprints, 2 olys)
Road Races: 6 (5 5Ks, 1 half)

2009 was a perfect building year coming off of my experimental 2008 year that boasted just 5 races…total. I tested myself at the Oly distance finding that I really enjoyed, enough to step up to the HIM distance. I got more comfortable running,  hence the half marathon thrown in there. I grew as a triathlete, learning more about the sport in general as well as where I fit in it and where it fits in my life (thankfully, it does!). Finally, I got to meet some awesome new people thanks to this bloggy thing.

2010:
(Goals)

Swim: 110,000 yards
Bike: 1500 miles
Run: 750 miles

(Scheduled so far)
Triathlons: 4  (1 sprint relay, 2 olys, 1 HIM)
Road Races: 1 (half marathon)…more to come

2010 will bring about a year of major change, not only for me but for my better half as well. In the spring we will both be graduating, Britney will be finishing her Bachelors, while I will finish with my Masters. We’ll have the summer to ourselves, she’ll be at a fulltime internship and I’ll be racing, but we’ll be moving out of our love nest in the Cedar Valley. The fall brings the biggest changes when I move to a new school (school TBD) and Britney may possibly be leaving the country for a few months (no, she’s not being deported). Because of this move, it makes it difficult to schedule my full 2010 season since I’m not sure where I’ll be in the fall. I’ve got my season figured out until Racine, which is the most important race.

This leads me to my training for this upcoming season. I need to be a real triathlete (by my definition). One that is dedicated to their training, eats better (that’s going to be a slow process), leaves it all on the course and doesn’t make excuses. The last two seasons were starter seasons and this season is going to step up, especially since next year is supposed to be an Iron year. But before Iron comes the half and it’s going to be a serious race and I need to be prepared. I can’t underestimate the distance and I can’t overestimate my training. Being a triathlete requires balance, and I will find and live that balance.

2010: Bring it on!

4 comments:

  1. I don't think those numbers are pathetic at all - at the very least your swim numbers trump my first couple seasons in triathlon :) Lots of exciting times ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck next year!!

    I still feel anyone that finishes a tri is a triathelete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not pathetic at all. You had a great year with 5 triathlons. Good luck on your HIM training. I almost was going to ask which HIM you were doing and then I scrolled up... haha :)

    ReplyDelete