Wednesday, April 21, 2010

10 Honest Things

image

New blogger buddy Mandy (aka Caratunk Girl) just handed off an Honesty Scrap Award, so now I have to list 10 honest things about me. Here it goes!

1) I’m very self aware and very comfortable with who I am. This can be attributed to coming out at a young age and being surrounded by a supportive family. Once I figured out who I was, there was no going back!

2) That being said, I’m the President of the I-don’t-give-a-f*ck Institute as well as the head of the Roll-Off-My-Back University. This means that unless we’re friends, I don’t care what you think of me, and go ahead and try to offend me, ‘cause it’s not gonna work. Again, attributes that come with the gay territory.

3) Britney truly is my Better Half.

4) One of the irrational reasons I got into triathlons was to show my family that my brother (the Iowa Hawkeye football player) was not the only athlete in the family. He may be able to bench press 500 lbs, but can he swim/bike/run for hours on end?

5) I tend to do things just to see if I can, but I don’t set myself up for failure. This is one of the reasons I’m pursuing my PhD in the fall and racing an Iron-distance next year, just to see if I can.

6) I don’t have rational fears (you know, getting robbed, walking alone at night, etc). I have irrational fears, big irrational fears. These include sharks (I’m landlocked for heaven’s sake!) and car windshield wipers flying off (so I don’t use them very much). Not to mention, I’m deathly afraid of the sprinkler heads in apartments, the ones that look like this:

image 
I’ve actually considered getting help for this fear, seriously.

7) Some may describe me as blunt. I’m that person that says what everyone else is thinking but no one will say. However, I’m not rude, I’ll totally tell white lies to keep the situation comfortable.

8) I get along much better with kids and animals than I do with adults. I enjoy the lack of filter between the brain and the mouth that kids have.

9) Being gay is a part of who I am, but it certainly doesn’t define me. I don’t often think about my sexuality and just assume that everyone knows I’m gay and in a relationship (you mean you didn’t get the weekly memo from ‘Gays R Us’ keeping you in the homo loop about who is who and who is dating whom??). Oh yea, I don’t think sexuality should be serious and often use humor when talking about it.

10) I have come to really enjoy this blogland that I entered just over a year ago. I’m not sure how I stumbled into it, but I’m glad I did. Reading all of your adventures and being able to share mine has been a lot of fun. Not to sound too geekish, but I often think about posts I’ve read during workouts, especially long boring workouts. You guys are awesome!!

So, there ya go. I will now bestow this award to 5 new people:

The awesome half-iron rockin’ animator…Jon!

A true Midwest Girl living on the coast…Marit!

The brand new Grand-puppy-mother…Molly!

The Trekker from the middle of Iowa….Greyt!

He just conquered the aliens…Kevin!

Can’t wait to read what you guys share!!

6 comments:

  1. Great list! I love #5 - I do the exact same thing, just to see if I can (or because someone told me I couldn't) #6 - I swear there are giant fresh water sharks in the lake near our house. #8 - they are just more honest. #10 - seriously, I am loving this blog world too - it is inspiring. Keep up the great training! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Oh the pressure to come up with something similar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I liked you but now I like you even more! What a great list of honest crap or is it scrap(he-he-he!). If you are the president of the I don't give a "F" Institute, then I'm the Vice Prez! Am with you on #10. It has been a pleasure blogging and reading other motivating blogs. Even though I've never met most bloggers in real life, i feel like I know many of them already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the list, I almost picked on you, but I think I have picked on you in the past, tortured someone else instead, but it was fun to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found the blog. What aspect of criminology intrests you? Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are blogging so often now that I can't keep up! Anyways, you forgot to mention how much you LOVE and ADORE your sister in your list of truths.

    ReplyDelete