Just some final thoughts about the race.
1) I knew I was not in tip-top physical shape and that I probably wouldn’t perform as well as I wanted, but I didn’t count on the conditions being so crappy, so I’ll take partial blame for my craptastic time, but only partial.
2) This was definitely a learning race: I learned I hate wind, I learned I need to be prepared for EVERY possible condition, and I learned that when it comes to the weather, this is a team sport…everyone suffers.
3) During my 3 1/2 hour suffer fest several negative thoughts floated through my head, most of them questioning my sanity, but I’m happy to say that that the thought of quitting the sport never crossed my mind.
4) Now that I’ve had a few days to look back on the race I realize that it really wasn’t as bad as it could have been (aka, it wasn't cold, windy and rainy), so I shouldn’t complain so much. But man, when you’re in the middle of conditions like that it just seems like nothing could be worse.
5) Despite the not-so-pleasant race on Sunday, I’m really excited for the rest of my upcoming races (all 3 of them). Hy-Vee is in just a few short weeks and it will only be a month after that I’ll be heading to Racine (damn…that’s coming fast!).
6) Lastly, I just want to thank you guys again for your awesome support…I thought of my blogger buddies several times during my struggles on Sunday and that always gave me a boost of energy and positivity that I needed. It just reminded me how lucky I am to have support in person and online for this crazy ass sport!
Now I’m moving onward and upward. This weekend the Better Half and I are heading home for the weekend to spend some quality time with the family. I’ll be taking my bike to get workouts in…I’ll be sure to report back on Monday on all our fun!
Everyone have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!
P.S. Thanks again again for all your kind comments, you are all rock stars (even Britney mentioned how awesome and positive everyone is and how cool it is to have buddies like this). Ok. I’m done being mushy. Over and out.
Great post-race analysis - it's the kind of stuff like this that helps you learn and get stronger for the next one. And I'm glad to hear the next one is soon enough for you to take the fire from this experience and push yourself hard!!!
ReplyDeletei found myself thinking about all my blog buddies too when i did my race a couple of weeks ago. we're all in it together and that's what's so cool about this sport and blogging. Have a great weekend with the fam!
ReplyDeleteGreat recap!
ReplyDeleteOk, I am really curious about you and prunes. You hate em or love em? I haven't eaten a prune in so long I don't really know what to think about them. More importantly, will you still be my blogger buddy if I try one?
I really like the post race analysis - blogger buddies are the best!
ReplyDeleteMushy??? There is no mushy in triathlons!! ;-)
ReplyDeleteHey Maria! I don't have your email or I would have sent it direct, but I figure this will get to you this way.
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU so much!! I really appreciate it. I am going to kick some Pirate A$$! :) Thanks again.