Sunday, May 2, 2010

An Open Letter

Dear Jolesch Photography,
I am very disappointed in your recent work at the Drake Relays On-The-Roads event. I prominently displayed my race number on my shorts to be seen throughout the entire race. I ran the directed route and encountered not one, not two but three of your photographers taking pictures of the race participants. Yet, as I was going through your pictures of the event, I noticed that my name was not among those participants photographed. Not a problem, I'll check the lost and found because I know you people must get tired (aka lazy) of matching race bib numbers to names from a computer program. Much to my dismay, after searching the ENTIRE 'lost and found' section, I did not find a single picture of me running the 13.1 mile route. I DID however find not one, not two, not three, but NINE photos of my running buddy (the person I was RUNNING NEXT TO). I know for a fact that I was running next to her for 8 of the 9 pictures and in 4 you can actually see half of my body, such as the case here:
(That is me in the black on the left)
Now, I realize that she is more attractive than I am and that you had already photographed literally hundreds of runners already, but I was towards the end (keep your snotty comments to yourself) and was not surrounded by many people. In fact it was me, Sharon (the lady you were mildly obsessed with) and the gentleman in the blue. To me, these lack of photographs are inexcusable, not because I'm vain and want pictures of myself, but simply because it is an issue of laziness. I ran by you, saw cameras pointed in my direction, even smiled, and got nothing in return but half a body shot. I paid my race fee just like everyone else and I deserve visual proof of my run. I had expected more from a national photography company that charges an arm and a leg for wild-card race shots. I hope the next event I participate in uses a more effective photography company, one that can take pictures of more than one person who trots by you on a race course, because, let me assure you, I was not moving very fast at that point.
Sincerely,
Maria

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you wrote that! That really sucks Maria. There is no excuse for them not getting not 1 picture of you in 13.1 miles. No excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks!! Very well written letter though. You should definitely send a copy of the letter to Jolesch Photography and to the race director.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks!!! You know, that has happened to me before, and I hate it. Love the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sucks!!! You *should* write to them and the RD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - I am so sorry. That is awful. On the other hand - you made me giggle a lot tonight (which is something I needed). Sorry to laugh at your photographic expense. ;) Seriously WHO WHO WHO hires photographers that don't take pictures of people? Or worse - take only half a shot. Humph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer! Print out that picture above, cut out your running buddy and send the half picture of yourself to the photographer with a note "Pulitzer prize worthy! Thanks!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. That just sucks, good for you to write to them

    btw I half believe you ran this race ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty funny and well written post...which is (imho) far better than any crappy race shots they would have taken of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, that does suck. Great post, though. I hope they see it!

    ReplyDelete