Thursday, July 8, 2010

10 Days.

The gist:
My first Half Iron is a mere 10 days away.

The background:
It was only 2 years ago that I ran my very first 5k…time flies and apparently my sanity flew too. I never thought this day would be here, simply because I had no ambitions to race this distance or even the Iron distance, but nonetheless I’m here and for the most part ready.

The numbers:
My bib: 809
My wave: 9
Estimated time: 7:35am

The cut-off times: (From my wave start)
Swim: 9:30am
Bike: 1:50pm
Run: 4:50pm

The minimum speeds:
Swim: 5:26/ 100 yards
Bike: 12.9 mph
Run: 13:44/ mile

The goal times:
Swim: :45 (2:07 pace)
Bike: 3:45 (14.9 mph)
Run: 2:45 (12:35 pace)
Total: 7:20-7:30 (with T1 and T2 times)

The justification:
Swim: I usually swim a 1:45 pace during races but want to give myself some wiggle room in case I get bored or need to clear out my goggles. I do expect it to stay below 2:00 since it’s point to point.
Bike: I’ll have a higher average on flats and declines but again, just want wiggle room for when I get tired or trying to steam my way up hills.
Run: I traditionally run fast off the bike and expect the first part of the run to be a 10:00 pace, but then I’ll get tired and start the walk/jog shuffle.
Note: the main goal is just to finish alive. The goal is something to shoot for.

The bottom line:
The next 10 days will be spent making final preparations, mostly mental preparations.

The aftermath:
I’ll get a few weeks off (mainly for moving) before gearing up again for my next half in November!

The countdown begins.

7 comments:

  1. I'm predicting sub-7. You can do it! Good luck!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to be an awesome accomplishment. Visualize yourself finishing strong. So much of this game is mental. And not mental as in we are all crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Maria! Sounds like you have a good plan, I am thinking you are going to surprise yourself with a sub-7 though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go read my race report from last year. Your swim will be FAST because of the current. The bike is a PR course as well. The run kinda boring except that it is busy - you see people the entire way. Not sure if they've changed the run, but the the portion they touted as "through the zoo" was crap. The HILL out of transition sucks, and you have to do it TWICE (again, if the same as last year). Pump those arms and get up it. You're gonna have a blast. It's a fun course - and the water is awesome as a post-race ice bath. :D Can't wait for your RR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that you are thinking conservative on the bike. Don't nuke your legs before the run.

    Good luck these last few days. Don't go too taper crazy and stay active (but less of it)! I find sitting still prior to a race just makes me go bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw your note on Jon's blog. Good luck with your HIM! I just did my first Tri this wknd the LTF Oly distance - looks like you did that one last year. what IM are you targeting? I signed up to Volunteer at Madison this fall
    -Derek

    ReplyDelete