Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What?! Life has transitions too?!?

…Those were NOT written in my contract when I decided to grow up, or at least try to grow up.

And apparently, I’m currently in one of those ill-negotiated transitions in life and unfortunately, they don’t last :45 seconds to 2 minutes, they can last weeks or even months…ugh.

In case you’ve forgotten, I’m moving to Texas in just over 30 days to start school…again. While that may not mean seem like a big deal to several of you (ya know, the grown up people out there…the ones who don’t call their dad when they have car issues) but let me give you a little background about why this is kinda a big for me:
          Exhibit A: I was born and raised in Iowa.
          Exhibit B: I did my undergraduate and graduate at schools that were only an hour and a half from home.
          Exhibit C: Exhibit A + Exhibit B = I’ve never lived outside of Iowa for more than 4 months.
          Exhibit D: Britney is not coming with me. ‘Nuff said.

Plus, ya know, the fact that it’s Texas and Huntsville is 1000 miles from home.

So anyway, back to the transition. Currently it’s July and I move in August…early August. Which means that I’m gradually (Britney doesn’t pack as fast as I do) getting ready to head south like a flock of birds, so my head is not always in the game. I’ve started saying goodbyes, I’ve started going to local restaurants for the last time, I’m heading into my last days at work, it’s just a lot of finales…which is not always fun.

Basically what I’ve learned is that growing up is not fun…to be honest, I’ve never wanted grown up (I’m a Toys R Us kid). Sure, grown ups get paychecks, but some of it gets pulled out for taxes.
Sure, they get to drive cars, but they have to pay for car insurance. Sure, they get to have our own puppies, but they have to pick up their poop and make sure they don’t tear up the house.
But they don’t get to ride our bike all summer long.
They don’t get to eat ice cream all the time when they want.
They don’t get weekends and summers off from work…huh, those last few things describe my life.

Ok, so apparently, I’m in transition within a transition. The outer transition is my life as a student and this transition will last another 4 years. The inner transition is my limbo life between Iowa and Texas and this transition will last about a month or so.

Is there a lesson in this rambling? No. Not really, I just haven’t blogged for a while.

Is there is anything triathlon related in it? Well, no not really (ha, don’t ya love that I put that warning at the end instead of the beginning?). But I will post tomorrow about triathlon related stuff and triathlon related stuff only, so I hope that makes you feel better.

So I’ll be back tomorrow assuming Iowa isn’t under water from all this freakin’ rain!

P.S. Any tips on growing up are appreciated.

7 comments:

  1. Growing up sucks, I still don't want to do it. Life transitions are just hard. It is going to be tough to be away from Brittney too, but you guys will pull through it.

    Good for you for going for your PhD in...what is it in anyway??? Have you told us that yet? I missed it.

    I still call my dad for lots of things BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Maria! I want to wish you good luck with your move and everything you're about to do. I know you'll be a long way from home, but Texas really isn't all that bad.

    I hope you'll be able to settle in and not miss your peeps too much. If you ever get down to South Texas - and believe me, you have to actually be headed here, no one is ever "just passing through" - look me up!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, adults don’t get to eat ice cream all the time when they want? Who made up that rule? I personally love moving, shedding extra possessions, and knowing something new is going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not having homework is a big plus for growing up. Having only 2 weeks of vacation a year is NOT a plus for growing up. Paying bills sucks, but a paycheck is nice. Leaving a job @ 6PM and not needing to think about it till 9AM the next day is great. I have found its all about settling in to a routine that fits your lifestyle. Its gonna suck @ first, but you will adjust! Moving far from home might actually be the best thing for you. It opens you up to different people, experiences, and will actually grow you up without knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm betting a lot of thought went into this decision to move south. Setting yourself up for a great future sometimes takes change...change that may suck at first but hell, you'll get to eat ice cream anytime you want so that right there makes everything fine. It will certainly be tough and homesickness will be rough I'm thinking (i've never been too far from the mother ship) but you still have all of us in blog land and we support you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt know about "D"

    Hang in there, I dont like growing up either, maybe that is why I am in a sport that is all childhood memories with s/b/r. Its an adventure, new friends, new places to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Advice? Keep all four feet firmly planted (I learned that from my terrier). Do no harm. And, eat as much ice cream as you want--your grandfather did.

    ReplyDelete