Thursday, August 19, 2010

Texas Thursday Vol 2: By the numbers

Ok, I missed Tuesday again, but I promise I won’t miss next Tuesday, I already have the post on my to do list.

So I’ve been in Prison City for just over a week now and have settled in nicely. Here’s what I got so far:

# of nights away from Britney: 11

# of times I’ve flossed: 5 (it’s a new habit that will hopefully keep my cavity count under 40)

# of pints of Ben and Jerry’s: 2 (I’ve had other ice cream as well)

# of Mini-Vans I’ve seen: 3

# of Subarus I’ve seen: 1 (it had California plates)

# of days spent in a heat advisory: 4

# of guns I’ve seen: 0 (but the my time here is still very young)

# of times I’ve been asked what the abbreviation of Iowa was: 1

# of times I’ve said ‘y’all’: 0 (Don’t expect that number to change)

I’ll let you make your own conclusion from those numbers.

School wise, I’ve been on campus almost everyday this week. I had a statistics workshop on Monday and Tuesday that served as a review. I got to meet several other first years as well as many second and third years. It was good to see and meet people and get a review of stats since that is one of the classes I’m taking.

I also got all my paperwork and ID stuff out of the way although I still need to get my office key (yup, I have an office!…ok I share with other students…but still!). I’ve received my assistantship assignment, which I am very excited about. I’ll be working in the Correctional Management Institute of Texas (CMIT) with one of the rock star professors here (she really is a rock star in the research world) who I know I will learn a lot from. I’ve heard good things about her both as a boss and a person so I’m super excited to start working with her.

Other than that, I have resorted back to my hermit ways, last seen when I lived in Chicago in Fall 2007. I spend most of my time in my apartment doing random things, only leaving to workout or head to campus. I’ve used my car twice since my family left last Friday.

My hermitism (yes, it’s a disease) isn’t unhealthy at this point (although it can be in extreme cases), it’s more of a symptom of boredom. Huntsville is not an exciting city, so there isn’t much exploring to do (I’ve already been to the prison museum twice). Classes don’t start until next Wednesday, although I do have two orientations to go to before then. I’m really hoping to drag my butt out to the forest or at least drive a few recommended biking routes this weekend.

I’m not homesick, although I certainly miss my family, I just can’t wait for things to start. Classes and work start next week, and I’ll start working with Coach Grant the following week. Once the ball starts rolling, I will be in business!

 

With that, I’m signing off. I’ll be back on Tuesday for sure, if not before!

4 comments:

  1. Not only will you be in business, but you will be very, very busy. I actually love Huntsville!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I have hermitism too!! Cool you have a coach!! Can't wait to follow your IM training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about "Howdy?" Was there alot of those? I am surprised of the "y'all" number. Come on Texas, live up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No gun sightings yet?! LOL@ the Ben and Jerrys I got hungry just reading that stat
    -D

    ReplyDelete