Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Texas Tuesday Vol. 4: Classes

Well, things are in full swing which means I’m up to my ears in reading and work. So. Much. Fun.

This week’s Texas Tuesday will be fairly short and will cover the bulk of my life right now: Classes. With out further ado, here is what I spend 9 hours of my week sitting through and 45 hours of my week reading about.

Advanced Statistics I: (This means I’ll be taking advanced statistics II at some point) Introduction to multivariate statistical techniques including multiple regression, logistic regression, discriminate analysis, multivariate analysis of variance, canonical correlation, factor analysis, cluster analysis and multidimensional scaling. Wow, say that 5 times fast. This just basically means any work and reading relating to this class will be filled with numbers, greek letters and really complicated formulas.

Criminological Theory: Overview of the major paradigms focusing on the causes of crime and deviant behavior with special attention given to the social, political and intellectual milieu within which each perspective arose. The course will include a discussion of criminological theories from a philosophy of science perspective focusing upon such issues as theory construction, theoretical integration and the formal evaluation of theory. This class will be the challenging class. Theory in general is too abstract for my small mind. I’m a black and white person and theory is all grey. The professor is great, but there’s a good chance this is the class I’ll complain the most about.

Proseminar in Criminal Justice Issues: The course is designed to give doctoral students a current, thorough, and comprehensive review of the criminal justice system — focusing on how the system functions in theory and practice, current future needs and trends. Students are required to submit extensive critiques and to participate in panel discussions. Although this class will be the closest thing to ‘fun’, I have to read 6 books and write a book review essay for each of them. That is not ‘fun’.

So, there you have it. That is what I am up to most of the time. Next week I’ll give you the rundown of work. In the mean time I’ll start chipping away at training which started today!

Peace out!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting to know what you have going on and your classes. Lots of work!
    -D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! You are busy!

    I took Advanced Stats I in my masters. That sucked. Hope you like it better than I do. I sucked at that class and had to do this crazy regression from hell for my Thesis that basically still makes me want to throw up.

    Any class with the word "theory" in it is scary to me. I don't get theory, I like real stuff.

    The criminal justice issues sounds pretty cool though. I mean except for the book reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lies, damn lies and statistics. I majoring in Math so I suffered through my fair share of stats classes. Just don't ask for any help - it has been at least 5 years :)

    It sure sounds like it is going to keep you busy! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are really smart. I think the class I would vote most likely to be my nap time would be Stats I...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should totally start training with a power meter on the bike. It would be kindergarten math compared to what you are studying this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey school buddy, as much as stats class will suck, it is one of the few college courses that is useful in the work enviroment. I want to do the panel class, minus the 6 books.

    ReplyDelete