Saturday, August 21, 2010

Triathlon Soup: A Mish Mash of Stuff

  • Apparently my body is still a Hawkeye. I have been running twice a day: once in the morning and once in the afternoon. In the morning the temp is usually around 85* with 80% humidity, aka Iowa weather. The afternoon temp is usually 97* with 40% humidity, aka Texas weather. I run better in the morning (and I really don’t think it has to do with other variables).
  • I’ve been swimming twice so far, and I’ve done so in my complex’s pool. The catch: it’s a 12 yard pool. So my workouts have consisted of 90 laps and 70 laps (just continuous swimming). Certainly not ideal, but it works until I can get into the school’s pool.
  • I still haven’t been out biking, I’m not gonna lie, I’m a little intimidated by road situation and I don’t feel comfortable getting out until I know where I can legally bike. So I’m going to make a trip to the courthouse on Monday (online was not helpful at all).
  • Despite not going out, I do have several routes in mind thanks to BeginnerTriathlete and MapMyRide (thanks Mandy for the suggestion!).
  • I’ve been weight lifting again and it feels great. I’m usually really comfortable with my body, but I was getting paranoid that my arms were becoming flabby since it had been a while. Weight lifting is always a strength of mine and I love doing it (no pun intended)!
  • If you need some inspiration (like I do (going 4 months in between races isn’t fun)) here are two suggestions:
    • The book “17 Hours to Glory” is a GREAT read! I got it for my birthday and absolutely love it. Check it out for an easy triathlon read.
    • I know there are tons of triathlon YouTube videos, but I think this one may be my all time favorite, it is just so well done:
  • Lastly: I’ve been meaning to share this for a while, but remember my awesome Racine experience? Well my wonderful sister got me one of the best gifts I have ever gotten, a book. Check this out:

P1030111
The front (sorry about the bad picture)

P1030114
The back (it’s a picture of Emily driving)

P1030118 P1030117
Samples of what is inside (pictures in the book taken by Britney, Emily and Kelsey).

Emily is a Mac user and they have a program where they can make photo books (like this one) from their picture program. There are different types of books and you can include writing on the pages if you so desire. It. Is. Awesome.

So that is my Triathlon Soup for now. I just want give a HUGE shout out to Mandy and Jon who will be racing Ironman 70.3 Timberman on Sunday and I know they are going to kick serious butt! Good luck to everyone else racing!

5 comments:

  1. Sweat book!! Because everything is digital now and we rarely, if ever, print photos, my wife makes a new one each 6 months or so with everything we have done. We generally use Shutterfly or Snapfish but have used Blurb at one time. Blurb was the easiest but most expensive. I'll have to find a Mac to play on at some point.

    Have you read Jeff's blog (Dangle the Carrot). He's a Texan and I'm sure would love to give you some pointers/advice. He's also signed up for IM TX 2011 so I'm sure he doing plenty of biking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool photo book!!! and *shivers* for that video :-) No wonder I want to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome book that is super cool...still lol at the pics of them jumping and posing. Great job on the laps in your pool! wow
    -Derek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out!

    AWESOME post! You have a ton of great ideas in this. I have always wanted to try the make-your-own-book from Apple. It looks so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love learning about changing scenry and how it is different from what your use to

    and I love, love that book, that is just flat out cool!!!

    ReplyDelete