Howdy Ya’ll!
I have officially made the move south and am settled into my new apartment. Although I arrived in Prison City, TX on Monday, the last few days have been spent unpacking, shopping and hanging up decorations. So after days of spending time with my dad, sister and her boyfriend, I finally get a chance to get caught up on blogs (still working on that) and write my first post in Texas!
I also wanted to introduce you guys to a new series of posts that I’ll be doing called Texas Tuesdays (I just missed it this week). These posts will be non-triathlon related and will be geared toward my family in Iowa to give them a glimpse of my life in Texas. I promise not to bore you, but if you’re looking for tri stuff on Tuesdays, ya might want to change the channel.
As for Britney and I, we are still together (going on 8 years) although she has remained in Iowa (she has enrolled at UNI in a Masters program) and I’m in Texas. This is not the first time we’ve done the long distance relationship although hopefully it will be the last time. I promise to keep complaining about being apart to a minimum.
Training has been put on the back burner, probably not the best thing, but that’s the way life rolls. I’ll resume on Friday when my moving minions head north. I start with Coach Grant on August 30th, so I need to be in some sort of shape by then. Thankfully, my next scheduled race isn’t until Nov. 7th.
And now, I present to you my new apartment, which is triathlete friendly.
Living Room (with bike #1). Yup, there is no TV!
My dining room with weights and exercise ball. Sorry about the mess, I still have 3 guests living with me.
The kitchen (my dad cooking dinner). Its small, but perfect for me. I have a whole cupboard dedicated to water bottles and nutrition!
My room from the corner with bike #2 and #3. I totally don’t mind sharing my room with Frankie and Gwen! (Those are triathlon posters in the hallway)
My awesomely large closet. The entire right side is triathlon stuff, and the right side is clothes (I don’t have a large wardrobe at all). (My dad makes me keep a pair of crutches with me since he thinks I’m accident prone)
Also, the bathroom (not pictured) has plenty of towel racks for me to hang suits on! The only thing my apartment is missing is my better half (I said I would keep it to a minimum, not non-existent).
A huge thanks to my dad, Emily and Jeff for helping me move and get settled in. I love my apartment and am excited for school to start (I know, I’m a nerd).
I’ll be back later with triathlon stuff, I promise, training resumes tomorrow!
Ya’ll come back now, ya hear?
I see you have the lingo down already. Don't worry though, I'm sure those Texans will spot your Midwestern accent in no time :)
ReplyDeleteIf the landlord will let you put some hooks into the rafters or wall studs, that would be a great way to store your bikes without taking up wall space. Even if they don't "let" you, they are easy enough to install and then remove and patch up the holes when you move out. Otherwise, there are ton of ideas on instructables.com if need any other ideas.
Have fun in Texas!!
The new place looks great! I look forward to hearing your impressions of Texas :-)
ReplyDeleteLooks great! enjoy the rest...no tv is a great thing !
ReplyDeleteI was just on instructables.com! They do have awesome ideas. I think the pictures may have been better than you bringing the webcam all over your apartment for the tour, although I did enjoy that too! Also- if you keep typing ya'll I may have to disown you... :)
ReplyDeleteWow, the apartment looks great!! I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures in Texas. AND no TV is good!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to Texas! Now go buy a HUGE truck! haha!
ReplyDeleteHope the settling in goes smoothly and you can find some nice new routes to ride.
You can say (and type) ya'll as much as you want. You might as well get used to it. As they say, "When in Rome. . . ." which - doesn't mean you have to go to prison when in Prison City, TX!!!!
ReplyDeleteThe apartment looks great Maria - you did a great job with the decorating. And, from someone who uses and types y'all a lot, I have to say it is perfectly ok, but you do need to learn to spell it. It's a contraction of "you" and "all", so you need to get that apostrophe in the right place. And remember, it's only ok to use it when talking to two or more people. If you say y'all when speaking to just one person they might think you're from IOWA. Which isn't a bad thing. I'm just sayin'...
ReplyDeleteNice apartment! I'm jealous of your closet space! I hope you enjoy Texas!!
ReplyDeleteI like your new pad, sooooo athelic, almost makes my tri cave seem below the standard
ReplyDeletebtw, you answered my question I had a couple weeks ago in this post :-)