I survived it!
Which, truly isn’t saying much since it was only a test week so it wasn’t a high volume week or anything. But anyway, here are my thoughts about the first week:
I enjoyed it.
Wow, that was hard to sum up.
I realize it’s only been one week, but it has already been a huge stress reliever not to have to write my own workout schedule. Grant tells me what I need to do and I figure out when I’m gonna get it done that day. Simple as that.
And actually, if I’m honest with myself, my training will save me during the next few years when I become so engrossed in school and research. One thing professors stress is to get a healthy outlet away from school, and thankfully I already have that. So even when things start to get busy and I may not want to get away to get that swim in, I know that I will need to, not only because I don’t want to let Grant down, but also because I need to get away from work and think about something else for while.
So, anyway, after a week of training in Huntsville, here are my thoughts about training in here:
It sucks.
Wow, again, that wasn’t hard.
The city here apparently doesn’t believe in sidewalks so it makes running routes hard to find since I’ll be running on the streets. I’m also not a fan of driving to bike and for the second time in as many weeks, I had to bike 20+ miles on that freakin’ chip seal.
Not to mention, I’m biking on farm roads with houses and ranches around, who apparently don’t believe in dog fences, so this morning I had two dogs chasing me while I was riding past. Let’s just say that my heart rate spiked and it made me really miss riding past actual farms where the worst thing you had to worry about was a cow mooing at you.
Man. I miss training in Iowa. (Although check back with me in 2-3 months and I’m sure I’ll be ok training in Texas then!)
Anyway, back to the coach thing.
I haven’t gotten my schedule for this week but I’m sure I’ll be starting to put the miles in to get ready for Iron Star in November. Which, I’m looking forward to, but at the same time I’ll be glad to be done with triathlons for the season. My goal is to focus on my run this winter so I can really be ready for heavy training next season. But that’s really here nor there.
(Can you tell I’m procrastinating from doing work? I have to write a book review essay over the State of Criminal Justice, which is neither fun or entertaining)
So, what’s new with you?
Ok, Ok, I should probably get back to it. I’ve got a theory paper to look forward to tonight and tomorrow. Yay.
I’ll be back on Tuesday to talk about the research I’m doing for work and for fun (yes, I said fun. Research = fun, classes = not fun).
Have a good one!
Getting a coach is a great idea. It will keep you on track when your attention will have to be on school. It can be very hard to keep a training schedule together with just working!
ReplyDeleteDog Deterrent spray...http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum10130.php Ride safe!
Come on, it is time to embrace rural Texas. Riding on the chip seal will make you appreciate good asphalt even more and the dogs, those are just chances for intermediate sprints. Most just want to chase you and wouldn't bite you anyway.
ReplyDeleteYes, having a coach is really awesome for the lack of need to think about a plan and the accountability - I skip workouts waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less with a coach than I did before.
ReplyDeleteGood job on test week being done - the volume may not be high but the intensity is!
I'm pretty sure you got chased by dogs in Iowa too, are the dogs in Texas bigger like everything else? And I think you need to give in and get actual biking shorts... they will help- I'm sure of it :)
ReplyDeleteOMG the dogs!! you'll figure it out eventually where the good bike route is with no chipseal?
ReplyDeleteCoaches are a good thing, takes alot out of the guess work
ReplyDeleteWait till you get chased by a llama, it happened to me and the team