Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Texas Tuesday Vol. 7: Balance

I know, I know, I’m slightly late…ironic given the topic…huh?

So yea, about balance…do you know where I can get some?

I mean, I guess I’m not a wreck here, but this school thing has really thrown a wrench in my training, blogging and general-having-fun-time. I don’t like it.

Let me give you a run down of the several different balance beams I’m on right now. (Like I said, I’m not horrible about balance, it’s just not how I would really like it to be…namely for triathlon).

Round 1: School vs. Social Life

Winner: School.

Duh. Obviously. BUT that’s ok. That is why I’m in Texas and my family is in Iowa. Yes, I’m making friends here (don’t worry, I’m not holed up in my apartment), but they are in the same boat I am.

Round 2: Social Life vs. Training

Winner: Social life..but not by much.

When it comes down to it, will I want to hang out with friends or train by myself? That is what gives social life the edge. However, I’m close to balance on this one. It helps that I don’t have TOO many friends (yes, according to “Life by Maria” you can have too many friends). It also helps that one of my new buddies is really supportive of training and will even come to the gym with me to do her own thing while I swim for 30 min, staring at the black line at the bottom of the pool…thus decreasing the number excuses of not going.

Round 3: School vs. Blogging

Winner: School…but I’m working on it!

This one I really really struggle with. I’ve been blogging just under 2 years but have been reading them for much longer and would like to think I have developed a good circle of ‘blogger buddies’. You, your blogs, and comments have served as inspiration during training as well as keeping me accountable and I hate that I haven’t been able to stay afloat in your lives. This area is the easiest to shove by the curb but I’m still fighting for it, I promise. I just organized Google Reader which will make it easier to read updates and leave comments. So even if I’m not updating my blog, I will always make time to read and comment on yours.

Round 4: School vs. Training

Winner: TBD

Right now I appear to be doing ok. I’m keeping my head above water in class and at work as well as training, but I’m not sure how much longer that is going to last, for several reasons. 1) My school work will eventually pick up, by a lot. That just the nature of the beast. 2) I’m actually quite tired from this season, despite it only being a 4 tri race season. Like I’ve mentioned before, mentally it was a tough one, although for no apparent reason so I’m excited for the off season and to start clean next year.

 

So, there you have it. Obviously the center of my world right now is school. That is where it should be and where it will remain for the next four years. However, that does not mean I won’t have time for hanging out as well as training, it’s just a matter of being able to juggle…really well.

While I look forward to Iron Star in November, I also look forward to November 8th, which is when my off season starts. Granted, I’ll still be working towards something…namely on improving my run, but I’ll have more time to hang out and do other activities for fun.

As a side note, I joined Jon and Kevin’s new group blog, 201Ironman so be sure to check us out there, I’ll update throughout the year regarding my full iron training..should be a good one!!

(Ma, I’m sorry this is late!)

4 comments:

  1. You are still in the very early stages of this huge life transition. I'd say you are doing very well! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Rachel said, hang in there, it will take a while until you feel like you have your feet under you and things balance out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. School or Work always throw a wrench into Training or Social Life...or both! They are both terribly inconvenient! Agree with RW and CG you are doing very well and will hit the rhythm soon enough
    -Derek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not even taking the load you are and I feel bogged down!!!!

    ReplyDelete