Monday, March 2, 2009

Ahh...Redemption.

I had an excellent swim workout today, the total was 2500 yards and I had just about everything in there from short sprints to drills to a long set. I felt strong all the way through the workout and was very pleased when I was finished. This victory of mine was twice as sweet due to the disastrous workout I had in the pool last week.

Somewhere along the way, I have picked up an unlikely swimming buddy, my younger sister. This is surprising only because up until a few months ago she didn't believe in working out (and I'm not sure she still does, but she likes swimming). Anyway, usually the two of us go and I write out workouts for us, with different yardage for each of us. Last Wednesday I decided I was going to challenge her and have her do the same work out I did, 2000 yards. She said she was up to it since she had gotten 10 hours of sleep the night before (ok, apparently she is part sloth).

Usually when we swim we share a lane and we each do our own thing and everyone is happy (especially my mom who loves it when Em and I spend quality time together). Well, apparently on Wednesday I was not prepared for the workout (both mentally and physically) because I boinked right after the warm-up....how sad is that?!? I started the main set but I didn't even get 100 yards into it before I decided that I wanted to make my sister's workout difficult by following close to her feet, running her into the lane line, or simply swimming on top of her.
She was real trooper and continued on even though I had clearly lost interest in the workout.

My sister finished the 2000 yard workout and I ended up doing 1200 pathetic yards, the last 50 was done by doggy paddle...yes, I was that sad. So congrats to Emily for finishing the work out while I did my own walk of shame to the car, still giggling about the doggy paddle.

I'm hoping to switch workout gears now that the triathlon challenge is coming to an end (I'll post about that on Friday), and will be increasing my mileage to build my base up. I cant wait for warm weather and outdoor runs and rides!

Happy Training!

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahahahahahhahahah this made me laugh outloud because everything you wrote is so true...
    Except the part about me being a sloth. I'm not a sloth. I'm your sister. Need I remind you where we BOTH came from?? :)

    ReplyDelete